The NHL’s released its annual revenue and growth report and, judging by the numbers, the league appears to be quite healthy from a financial standpoint.
As such, we’ll skip over the business jargon and head straight for the intriguing part of the report — jersey sales!
Sales on Shop.NHL.com, operated by e-commerce provider Fanatics, are up 20 percent through the end of March compared to last season. The Top Selling Player Jerseys on Shop.NHL.com for the 2011-12 season are:
1. Claude Giroux, Philadelphia Flyers
2. Ryan Callahan, New York Rangers
3. Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
4. Alexander Ovechkin, Washington Capitals
5. Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers
6. Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks
7. Tim Thomas, Boston Bruins
8. Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks
9. Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
10. Jaromir Jagr, Philadelphia Flyers
Conspicuously absent from the top 10 was Nashville’s No. 65, Ryan Thang. I’m of the mind stores can never have too many gold “65 Thang” jerseys in stock. Never.