The Canadiens covet [Edmonton d-man Jeff] Petry to play with Alexei Emelin on a second defence pair in the wide-open East, where there is no clear-cut Cup contender threat. They may not want to deal their two young defencemen, Nathan Beaulieu or Jared Tinordi, in any deal for Petry.
They reportedly have offered their 2013 first-round pick, winger Michael McCarron to the Coyotes for the shutdown D [Zbynek] Michalek.
The proposed move makes sense to a certain degree. McCarron, the 25th overall pick at the ’13 NHL Entry Draft, was a disappointment in his first year in the OHL (with London) and was cut from the U.S. Team for the 2015 World Juniors.
But McCarron is still only 19 years old and, with his tantalizing size (6-foot-6, 225 pounds) still has plenty of value as a prospect. That would seemingly fit with the direction Arizona has taken lately, as the club is shifting towards a youth movement and plans to ship out some veterans prior to, or at, Monday’s trade deadline.
(And if you consider the asking price for Andrej Sekera — who, granted, might not be just a rental for Los Angeles — a prospect could be the asking price for Michalek.)
One final thing to consider: Michalek has been sidelined recently with an upper-body injury, believed to be a concussion. That could greatly affect what teams are willing to spend on the 32-year-old, especially since he’s a pending UFA on July 1.
Gonchar (upper body) addresses Clarkson hit: ‘Our game is rough enough’
Habs defenseman Sergei Gonchar skated with teammates for the first time today since being knocked out of a game versus Toronto on Feb. 14, and discussed the incident that sidelined him — a hit from David Clarkson that netted the Leafs forward a game misconduct.
“The hit was from behind,” Gonchar said, per the Habs website. “Our game is rough enough, you don’t have to come up with such a hit.
“Maybe his excuse is that he didn’t see me turning at the last moment, but at the same time we should respect each other more and maybe slow down when you see somebody turning your back.”
Here’s the hit in question:
Gonchar, 40, has been a nice pickup for the Habs since coming over from Dallas in mid-November, scoring 12 points in 38 games while averaging 18:37 TOI per night. He said he’s approaching his return on a day-by-day basis and, while he was wearing a non-contract jersey on Monday, has been medically cleared.
With both Gonchar and Alexei Emelin out, Montreal has been going with a seven-man unit of P.K. Subban, Andrei Markov, Tom Gilbert, Mike Weaver, Nathan Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi and Greg Pateryn.
With Gonchar and Emelin hurt, Habs recall Tinordi (Updated)
Montreal GM Marc Bergevin has built himself a pretty deep blueline over the last few seasons, and now he gets to see how truly deep it is.
With Sergei Gonchar sidelined and Alexei Emelin leaving Wednesday’s loss to Ottawa with an upper-body injury, the Canadiens have recalled former first-rounder Jarred Tinordi from AHL Hamilton.
Tinordi, 22, was the 22nd overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and has appeared in nine games for the Habs this year, averaging 12:01 TOI per game. His recall may have come sooner, had he not suffered a concussion during this fight versus AHL Utica tough guy Andrey Pedan:
With Emelin out, Montreal was stuck playing five defensemen against the Sens last night: Andrei Markov, P.K. Subban, Tom Gilbert, Greg Pateryn and Nathan Beaulieu. Mike Weaver, who was scratched on Wednesday, will presumably draw into the lineup and Tinordi will sit as the extra.
It’s also worth noting the Habs have veteran d-man Bryan Allen still down in AHL Hamilton, should their injury woes on the blueline continue. Allen, acquired from Anaheim earlier this season, has appeared in five games for Montreal this season.