Welcome to the PHT Morning Skate, a collection of links from the NHL and around the hockey world. Have a link you want to submit? Email us at phtblog@nbcsports.
• The strategy of targeting restricted free agents has paid off big time for Avalanche GM Joe Sakic. [Mile High Hockey]
• On the Lightning evening up their series with the Rangers: “Basically, the Lightning got back to doing what made them Stanley Cup champions the past two years. That means tough defense, that means staying out of the penalty box, that means getting away from so many careless turnovers that were leading to odd-man rushes.” [Tampa Bay Times]
• P.K. Subban is your 2021-22 King Clancy Memorial Trophy winner. The award is given to the “player or players who best exemplify leadership qualities on and off the ice and have made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in their community.” [NHL.com]
• Now that the Oilers’ season is over, what do they do this summer to follow up a conference finals appearance? [Oilers Nation]
• Interesting examination of the value of NHL draft picks. [Sound of Hockey]