Welcome to the PHT Morning Skate, a collection of links from the NHL and around the hockey world. Have a link you want to submit? Email us at phtblog@nbcsports.
• Artemi Panarin on why he wouldn’t feel comfortable being the next Rangers captain: “I think I’m more effective in hockey. And I’m afraid that I won’t be an effective captain. I even don’t speak English. How can I motivate? I can only influence with my own game. And they will listen to me without any letters.” [NHL.com]
• Matthew Tkachuk not really helping Senators’ fans’ nerves when it comes to an extension for his brother Brady: “He might be pulling a classic Tkachuk right now. Dad held out, Matthew held out, and Brady looks like he’s on his way right now. So hopefully it can get figured out here. But it’s just a lot of fake stuff out there regarding this. They’re not too close.” [Sportsnet]
Favorite Zdeno Chara story. In his rookie year he took a seat next to me on the team bus. I was seated at the window, and when he sat down he pinned me so hard against the glass I thought he was mad at me. He said, “Sorry I so big”. Great guy and gentle giant. Welcome back, Z.
— Howie Rose (@HowieRose) September 18, 2021
• Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan on the franchise’s focus as they attempt to make a Stanley Cup run: “What we can’t do is get frustrated now. We can’t discard the plan. We can’t go on our own as individuals. We have to continue on this course and I think the players are absolutely driven to get this done here in Toronto.” [Toronto Sun]
• Red Wings Jared McIsaac looks to be OK after he lost consciousness following a hit along the boards during Sunday’s prospects game against the Blue Jackets. [Detroit Free Press]
• Which NHL players are being undervalued in fantasy hockey drafts? [NBC Sports Edge]