Fleury or Lehner? Biggest issue facing Golden Knights is finishing chances

At some point Friday, if he hasn’t already made up his mid, Peter DeBoer will choose his Game 7 goalie.

Robin Lehner or Marc-Andre Fleury. Those are his two choices as Vegas tries to beat the Canucks and avoid blowing as 3-1 series lead for the second straight postseason Friday night (9 p.m. ET, NBCSN; livestream).

“Whoever plays, plays. If I get to play tomorrow I’ll do my best, like I always do,” Lehner said after the 4-0 Game 6 loss. “I feel pretty good out there. The bounces aren’t going our way right now. They get two posts and in, we get two posts and out. There was a couple of open nets that just bounced on us in the first period. Small margins. If you play, you just gotta do your best.”

There are pros and cons for each choice, but who DeBoer ultimately turns to won’t address the biggest issue facing the Golden Knights: solving Thatcher Demko. The Canucks rookie netminder has stopped 90 of the last 91 shots he’s faced.

Vegas, one of the highest-scoring playoff teams (3.29 goals per game), has two goals in two games. They’ve been the best possession so far (62% unblocked shot attempt advantage, per Natural Stat Trick) and own a 63-30 even shot advantage at 5-on-5 since Game 5. They also lead in high-danger scoring chances 22-14.

So as Lehner said, the bounces really aren’t going their way and Demko poses a big problem.

[NBC 2020 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFF HUB]

“There’s no magic solution when they pack five guys around the net like they do,” DeBoer said. “They do a good job of it, and you’ve got to penetrate.”

The fact that Friday is Game 7 might allow Vegas to not let any frustration from the last two games linger and instead focus on advancing.

“We’ve got to win one game to move on,” said DeBoer. “We’ll reset, come out [Friday] and we’ll put ourselves in a position here where we win a game, we get to move forward, and that’s what we’ve got to concentrate on.”

However the Golden Knights feel about their lack of finishing since Game 5, there’s no time for second-guessing. Only the chance for a good night of sleep, some rest, and then right back at Rogers Place with their season on the line.

“We don’t have time to think about anything. This is a back-to-back,” said forward Max Pacioretty. “Someone mentioned this is a unique scenario and one that we’ve never been in. You don’t get back-to-backs in the playoffs in a regular year. It’s nice that we’re going to have this opportunity [Friday]. You don’t want to sit around the room in the bubble and think about what went wrong to get to this point.

“This is what you dream about, so we should be excited for the challenge.”

MORE: NHL Second Round schedule

————

Sean Leahy is a writer for Pro Hockey Talk on NBC Sports. Drop him a line at phtblog@nbcsports.com or follow him on Twitter @Sean_Leahy.

Scroll Down For:

    Islanders agree to terms with Mathew Barzal on 8-year extension

    Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
    0 Comments

    Mathew Barzal has agreed to terms with the New York Islanders on an eight-year extension, a move that keeps the franchise’s top forward under contract for the balance of his prime.

    The deal is worth $73.2 million with an annual salary cap hit of $9.15 million, according to a person with knowledge of the contract. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team did not announce terms.

    Barzal has led the team in scoring, or been tied for the lead, every season since he became a full-time NHL player in 2017-18. He has 349 points in 411 regular-season and playoff games for the defensively stingy Islanders, who qualified for the postseason three consecutive times before an injury- and virus-altered last year.

    “We feel recharged,” Barzal said recently. “We feel like everybody had good summers and worked hard, and we got that excitement back.”

    Barzal, now 25, is coming off putting up 59 points in 75 games. The offensive star will now be asked to round out his game.

    “I’m a fan because Mat has the ability to raise his game and to be a special player,” general manager Lou Lamoriello told reporters at the team’s practice facility on Long Island. “And now, with this contract and our faith in him, (it) puts that responsibility on him. We’re trusting that. It’s up to him to respond to that.”

    Senators goaltender Cam Talbot out 5-7 weeks with injury

    Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports
    0 Comments

    OTTAWA, Ontario — Ottawa Senators goaltender Cam Talbot is expected to be out five to seven weeks with what the team called an upper-body injury.

    The Senators initially called Talbot day to day with what they hoped was a minor injury. Instead he’s now expected to miss at least the first month of the NHL season.

    Ottawa claimed goalie Magnus Hellberg off waivers from the Seattle Kraken upon announcing Talbot’s expected absence. Hellberg, who played for Sweden at the Beijing Olympics could split time with countryman Anton Forsberg while Talbot is out.

    The Senators acquired Talbot from Minnesota during the offseason to make him their starter after the Wild opted against bringing him back along with Marc-Andre Fleury. Talbot, 35, had a 2.76 goals-against average and .911 save percentage this season.

    Losing Talbot is a blow to the Senators, who also acquired winger Alex DeBrincat from Chicago and signed longtime Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux as part of a move toward contending and ending their playoff drought.

    Blackhawks’ Boris Katchouk sidelined by ankle sprain

    blackhawks
    Harry How/Getty Images
    13 Comments

    CHICAGO — Blackhawks forward Boris Katchouk will be sidelined for four to six weeks with a left ankle sprain, the team announced.

    The 24-year-old Katchouk played almost 12 minutes during a 3-0 preseason loss to Detroit on Saturday night. He was acquired in a multiplayer trade with Tampa Bay in March.

    The Blackhawks open the season on Oct. 12 at Colorado.

    The team also said forward Jujhar Khaira is day to day with a right ankle injury.

    Ducks’ Urho Vaakanainen crashes into boards, leaves on stretcher

    Getty Images
    3 Comments

    ANAHEIM, Calif. — Ducks defenseman Urho Vaakanainen was taken off the Honda Center ice on a stretcher after he crashed into the end boards in the first period of Anaheim’s preseason game against the San Jose Sharks.

    The Finnish defenseman was conscious and alert with full movement in his extremities at UCI Medical Center, the Ducks said.

    The frightening incident occurred midway through the opening period when Vaakanainen smashed into the boards at a dangerous speed behind the Sharks’ net. Vaakanainen appeared to be concentrating on the pass he had just made to Derek Grant, who scored the Ducks’ opening goal on the assist.

    Vaakanainen’s teammates came onto the ice and gathered around him as he was taken away on the stretcher.

    The Ducks acquired the 23-year-old Vaakanainen from Boston last March in the deal that sent longtime Ducks defenseman Hampus Lindholm to the Bruins. After recording two assists in 14 games for the Ducks last season, Vaakanainen is attempting to win a top-six role on Anaheim’s defense this fall.