Welcome to the PHT Morning Skate, a collection of links from around the hockey world. Have a link you want to submit? Email us at email@example.com.
• The Columbus Blue Jackets will face a steep climb to make the playoffs, but how will they stack up against expectations? (Jackets Cannon)
• Comparing Jacob Trouba and Charlie McAvoy‘s contract situation is silly. (NBC Sports Boston)
• What changes will the Canadiens make if they fail to make the playoffs again? (Montreal Gazette)
• Capitals defenseman John Carlson might take a step back next season. (NBC Sports Washington)
• The New Jersey Devils may have to look at giving Andy Greene some rest during the regular season. (All About the Jersey)
• It’s not time for Lightning fans to freak out over Brayden Point‘s contract situation. (Tampa Bay Times)
• Buying out Kevin Shattenkirk will be expensive for the Rangers, but it might be the best solution for their cap troubles. (New York Post)
• The Arizona Coyotes shouldn’t be underestimated heading into the 2019-20 season. (Five for Howling)
• There’s still a lot of work for Flames GM Brad Treliving to do this summer. (Flames Nation)
• How important were faceoffs to the Golden Knights last season? (Sinbin.Vegas)
• Now that we’re all in summer mode, let’s look back at who won the P.K. Subban for Shea Weber trade. (Predlines)
• Which of the non-playoff teams in the Western Conference improved most over the summer? (NHL.com)
Joey Alfieri is a writer for Pro Hockey Talk on NBC Sports. Drop him a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter @joeyalfieri.