Everyone’s favorite sports mascot donned Santa’s garb on Thursday night Philadelphia. Gritty is nearly two months early, but as we’ve all become accustomed to by now, Gritty does what Gritty wants.
And so there Gritty Claus was, bringing the mistletoe, wrapping paper and those always-interesting hesitant smiles to some fearful faces of children.
Besides his mere presence, Gritty was the bearer of another gift on Thursday night.
NBCSN regular Kevin Jones turned 50 on Thursday and Gritty wasn’t about to miss the occasion.
It’s been quite the last couple of days for Gritty, whose popularity has now crossed over into the political spectrum.
The jumbotron flashed a graphic on Thursday of how many write-in votes Gritty received during Tuesday’s mid-terms.
NBC Sports Philadelphia had a run-down on Thursday:
• U.S. House, N.J. District 1 (two votes)
• Camden County Sheriff (two votes)
• Audubon Boro Board of Education (one vote)
• Cherry Hill Township Board of Education (one vote)
• Clementon Board of Education (two votes)
• Collingswood Board of Education (one vote)
• Haddon Township Board of Education (five votes)
Sheriff Gritty just feels right, doesn’t it?
The Flyers may or may not win the Stanley Cup in June. But they’ve most certainly won the 2018-19 hockey season.