Welcome to the PHT Morning Skate, a collection of links from around the hockey world. Have a link you want to submit? Email us at email@example.com.
• See Erik Karlsson in a whole new light.
• Auston Matthews talks about potentially wearing the ‘C’ for the Toronto Maple Leafs. [TSN]
• On the importance of local ownership for an NHL team in Seattle. [Sonics Rising]
• A report out of Slovakia has longtime NHLer Michal Handzus hanging up his skates for good later this week. [Second City Hockey]
• With an extension due to him soon, the case for the Winnipeg Jets trading Blake Wheeler. [Jets Nation]
• Leon Draisaitl on the Edmonton Oilers’ playoff prospects for 2018-19: “I think we’re too good of a team where we’re not at least competing in the playoffs or not in the race.” [Sportsnet]
• Barry Trotz is feeling very confident that the New York Islanders can still score despite John Tavares now wearing a Maple Leafs jersey. [Point Blank]
• Jim Corsi joins the Columbus Blue Jackets organization as goaltending development coach. [Blue Jackets]
• Can the New Jersey Devils find a way back into the Stanley Cup Playoffs next spring? [Featurd]
• Pontus Aberg as the next William Karlsson? Hmm… [Pass it to Bulis]
• An in-depth look at Wayne Simmonds’ future, and does it include him remaining with the Philadelphia Flyers? [Broad Street Hockey]
• Colorado Avalanche head coach Jared Bednar has assisted in creating the Humboldt Broncos Memorial golf tournament. [Avalanche]
• Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Jamie Oleksiak draws plenty of inspiration from his Olympic gold medal winning younger sister. [NHLPA]
• The Fort Wayne Komets will be the ECHL affiliate for the Vegas Golden Knights. [Golden Knights]
Sean Leahy is a writer for Pro Hockey Talk on NBC Sports. Drop him a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter @Sean_Leahy.