Players of the Night:
Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers: Oilers haven’t had much to smile about this season. Lacklustre play, lacklustre results and a season likely devoid of the playoffs. But on Monday, they got a chance to flash a grin. McDavid went into McJesus mode and dropped four goals and five points on the Tampa Bay Lightning. McDavid now has 21 goals and 40 assists on the season. Smile, Edmonton, even if only for a while.
Kevin Fiala, Nashville Predators: Fiala must like New York. It seems New York likes him. Fiala scored twice on Monday against the Islanders, two days after he put up a brace against the Rangers on Saturday. Fiala is now up to 17 goals on the season, six more than he had in his rookie season last year. And there’s lots of time left to keep advancing that number.
* Honourable mention goes to Corey Perry, who recorded an assist on each of Anaheim’s four goals in the game.
Highlights of the Night:
Dan Hamuis getting his due on Monday night:
If you think McDavid’s hat-trick goal was filthy, check out this one:
Factoids of the Night:
- Brad Marchand wants you to know he’s trying to be better.
- Frederik Andersen forced to leave game after taking a skate to the head.
- P.K. Subban strong candidate for Norris Trophy.
- Elliott, Flyers keep facing ups and downs.
- Noah Welch on Olympics, educating hitters, pledging his brain to science.
- Possible trade destinations for Rick Nash.
- NHL Power Rankings: Mid-season Stanley Cup contenders and pretenders.
- Fantasy Adds & Drops: A Saad Time.
Maple Leafs 7, Ducks 4
Predators 5, Islanders 4 (OT)
Stars 2, Rangers 1
Oilers 6, Lightning 2