Player of the Night: Martin Jones, San Jose Sharks
The Sharks netminder stood tall Monday night during a 4-1 win over the New York Rangers. Jones stopped 33 shots as San Jose won their fourth consecutive game. Logan Couture recorded two points, which included his 200th career NHL assist. He now has six goals and nine points in four games.
Highlight of the Night:
Lovely shorthanded finish here by Trevor Lewis to help the Los Angeles Kings cut the Toronto Maple Leafs lead to 3-2 late in their game:
• Congrats to Tim Heed for scoring his first NHL goal.
• New York’s power play failed on all six opportunities.
• The Rangers have won only twice in eight home games this season.
• Marleau’s goal stood as the game-winner and was the 99th of his career, good for eighth all-time.
• A weird sequence in the first period saw Jonathan Quick take an elbow to the head and be briefly forced from the game due to a concussion spotter’s call. Oddly, it took several minutes for Quick to be removed from the game, and then he was only off the ice for whistle.
Factoid of the Night:
San Jose 4, New York Rangers 1
Toronto 3, Los Angeles 2