Between August’s “Team of the Day” series and all the other articles that gets published, Pro Hockey Talk generates a ton of material to get you hyped for the 2017-18 season.
With that in mind, it’s understandable if you missed some great stuff. While these collections aren’t comprehensive, consider these divisional previews to be a good way to get hyped for the rapidly approaching season.
For the PHT’s staff picks, click here.
- Can David Backes bounce back?
- How much gas does Zdeno Chara have left in the tank?
- Not everyone agrees with the Bruins’ salary cap outlook.
- Charlie McAvoy is ready to make an impact.
- David Pastrnak signs big (but reasonable?) contract after long offseason.
- Patrice Bergeron: surprisingly good at making commercials.
In more immediate Bruins news, Bergeron and Backes seem a little banged-up.
- Jack Eichel signs eight-year, $80M extension.
- Is he worth it?
- Their salary cap outlook after signing Eichel.
- Big decision looming regarding Evander Kane.
- Robin Lehner is under pressure.
Detroit Red Wings
- Consider their salary cap outlook
- Petr Mrazek is under pressure.
- There are signs that this franchise can still develop talent, if nothing else.
- Their new arena seems awfully flashy.
- Aaron Ekblad hopes for bounce-back year.
- Really, though, health in general might be Panthers’ best friend.
- Dale Tallon shapes the team back in his image, so now he’s under pressure.
- Jonathan Marchessault and Reilly Smith went to Vegas in the makeover.
- Jason Demers was traded to the Coyotes for Jamie McGinn.
- Tallon seemed deliberate in shedding salary this summer.
- Canadiens make another major trade, moving Mikhail Sergachev for Jonathan Drouin.
- Drouin was rewarded with a big, new contract.
- Of course, with that deal comes considerable pressure and responsibility.
- They kept Alex Galchenyuk and added Drouin; questions at center remain.
- Andrei Markov is gone after a long run. Mark Streit ranks as one of his replacements.
- Alex Radulov is also out of town. Ales Hemsky brings in some cheap, veteran offense.
- The good and the bad regarding their salary cap situation.
In more immediate news, the Habs made a minor trade.
… And another one:
- Erik Karlsson is limping into this season.
- Craig Anderson‘s contract year drama ended before it began with a new extension.
- The hockey world lost one of its most beloved minds when Bryan Murray passed away.
- Bobby Ryan is under pressure.
Tampa Bay Lightning
- Andrei Vasilevskiy has a lot to prove.
- Nikita Kucherov puts offseason criticisms behind him.
- The Lightning re-upped with Tyler Johnson and also committed to Ondrej Palat. As mentioned in the Montreal section, they traded Drouin for Sergachev.
- Steven Stamkos seems optimistic about his health.
Toronto Maple Leafs
- Toronto used its cap excess on two noteworthy veterans: Patrick Marleau and Ron Hainsey. Matt Hunwick is gone with Hainsey in town.
- No doubt, Marleau will be under pressure.
- The Buds signed Connor Brown to what could be a sneaky bargain.
- Mike Babcock warns Auston Matthews and the Maple Leafs not to get too ahead of themselves.