Coyotes accuse newspaper of making up story about arena tour

Getty
4 Comments

The Arizona Coyotes released a strong statement today, reaffirming their commitment to their market while accusing the Glendale Star newspaper of making up a story.

“Recent reports by the Glendale Star that the Coyotes ownership group has explored arena options outside the Arizona market are completely false,” said team president and CEO Anthony LeBlanc. “The Star referenced an anonymous arena source and an anonymous Coyotes source, and these are a fabrication.

“The Coyotes are focused on creating one of the most taxpayer friendly facilities in the country here in the Valley. This new arena will pay for itself, create jobs and generate millions of dollars of revenue for the state, county and municipality where it’s built. We are fully committed to Arizona.”

The Star reported that representatives of the Coyotes had toured arenas in Seattle and Portland in the past three months.

The report came just days after the Coyotes’ plans to build a new arena in Tempe fell through.

LeBlanc told Arizona Sports earlier this week that the team has since renewed talks with other potential arena sites in the Valley.

“When we made the decision to go with the Tempe site in the fall, it was just that, a decision made by the Coyotes,” LeBlanc said. “Admittedly, we felt it was the best site and best path, but it isn’t the only path. We are re-engaging with other potential sites, and that process began in earnest [Friday] evening.”

Related: So… what do the Coyotes do now?