Newsday’s Arthur Staple reports that the New York Islanders are “trying hard” to find a forward amid increasing scrutiny of head coach Jack Capuano and their general scorers.
That’s a great idea, because sometimes it’s tough to wonder how John Tavares doesn’t lose his mind considering the lack of support around him.
Although to get a goal-goalscorer, Staple says that GM Garth Snow might need to offer one of Joshua Ho-Sang, Anthony Beauvillier or Mathew Barzal, so keep that in mind as we take a quick run through some potential options for the Islanders:
Names floating around
- One name that surfaced is Matt Duchene, although Staple wonders if Duchene’s concussion issue could put a damper on such talks.
- Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman mentions Brandon Saad as someone who might be on the trade market, though Staple isn’t certain that Snow would trade with a team in the same division.
Some other possibilities
- Evander Kane‘s name has been attached to trade rumors involving the Vancouver Canucks, but why shouldn’t the Islanders consider him as a reclamation project?
- Radim Vrbata seemingly plays his best hockey in Arizona, yet the team is always looking to add prospects and/or picks. Perhaps he’d be a lower-rent option, especially since his cheap deal ends after this season? Staple believes the Isles had someone watching the Flames-Coyotes game on Wednesday, for what it’s worth.
- James van Riemsdyk recently enjoyed arguably his best game as a member of the Maple Leafs. With a roster brimming with young talent that could eventually push him down the lineup, perhaps the Leafs would consider parting with him.
- This one’s maybe the biggest shot in the dark, but what about Andrew Cogliano? The Anaheim Ducks are always trying to save some bucks, so perhaps the speedy forward could help in Brooklyn? He does already have five goals in 17 games, though on the other hand, he only nine all of last season.
Consider that a bit of brainstorming on this issue for the Islanders, but there are plenty of other options. There’s still hope that Snow will pull another rabbit out of his hat when it comes to identifying a waiver wire bargain, among other possibilities. Or, perhaps instead of trading a player like Ho-Sang, they should call him up and see if he can score himself. Ditto for Michael Dal Colle.
Either way, something needs to change, or else people may start a #SaveJohnTavares hashtag.
Feel free to add your ideas in the comments.