“Realistic” or not, there are a lot of names running through the rumor mill.
Let’s consider this a lightning round of trade rumblings, non-Tampa-Bay-edition:
- The latest on Kevin Shattenkirk gives the impression that a move away from the Blues is very much a “work in progress” but St. Louis seems willing to expedite the process.
One team that’s in the mix: the Arizona Coyotes, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. With Alex Goligoski already signed, the Coyotes could really boost their defense in a big way (imagine the offensive potential from the blueline in Goligoski, Shattenkirk and Oliver Ekman-Larsson).
- Shattenkirk’s name surfaced before, and there are more rumors about the Anaheim Ducks trading Cam Fowler, as ESPN’s Craig Custance reports.
The Buffalo Sabres might be in the mix for Fowler, too, although there’s a ceiling on the price.
- Speaking of picks, all sorts of rumors are flying around about teams moving pretty high picks in various deals, so stay tuned tomorrow. (Quick example: the Oilers might be shopping their fourth pick.)
- Pavel Datsyuk‘s cap hit is drawing some attention, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Custance reports that it might require the Red Wings to retain some cash, which could be the snag.
- Finally, LeBrun reports that the San Jose Sharks might try to get something for James Reimer‘s bargaining rights, much like they did with Antti Niemi last off-season.
Again, there are are a lot of rumors floating around heading into draft weekend. This doesn’t guarantee that a bunch of moves will happen, yet there are plenty of stories to watch.