The Associated Press, citing a “person with direct knowledge of the NHL’s decision,” is reporting that the league has picked Las Vegas for an expansion team.
From the Associated Press:
The person spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity because details have not been released by the league ahead of its Board of Governors meeting on June 22. Quebec City was also considered for expansion.
A second person who had been briefed on the decision said Las Vegas was a “done deal” following the recommendation of the NHL’s executive committee.
The 2017-18 season would be the earliest the league would expand.
Assuming the report is accurate, this is the avenue most expected the NHL to choose — expand to Las Vegas, hold off for now on Quebec City.
As mentioned, the Board of Governors is set to meet June 22 in Las Vegas, before the NHL Awards. That’s when commissioner Gary Bettman has said to expect the official word on expansion.