Video review madness in St. Louis as ‘Hawks level series at 1-1


Everybody knew this was going to happen eventually.

But that didn’t make the moment any less dramatic.

In what was easily the biggest coach’s challenge in Stanley Cup playoff history, Chicago’s Joel Quenneville wiped out what looked to be Vladimir Tarasenko‘s go-ahead goal in the third period, correctly claiming that Jori Lehtera went offside prior to the puck going in.

Then, moments later, Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock tried the same tact, challenging that Andrew Shaw interfered with Brian Elliott on Chicago’s go-ahead goal.

Hitchcock, though, didn’t have the same success as his counterpart. Shaw’s goal stood, the ‘Hawks went on to win 3-2 and even up the series at 1-1.

Social media, meanwhile, was set ablaze with the hottest of takes about video review.

Lost in all the controversy was the fact that, oh yeah, this was a pretty good hockey game. After a thrilling Game 1 in which David Backes broke a scoreless tie with his OT winner, the ‘Hawks and Blues got right back at it on Friday, though the two teams did wait until the second period to score an actual regulation goal.

Tarasenko opened at the 15:20 mark, only for Duncan Keith — playing after sitting Game 1 due to suspension — to equalize with just five seconds left in the frame.

That set the stage for a crazy third period in which Shaw looked to have scored the game winner, only for Artemi Panarin‘s empty-netter to stand as the GWG when Kevin Shattenkirk scored a meaningless goal with two seconds left.

Both goalies were good in this one. Crawford stopped 29 of 31 shots for a .935 save percentage, Elliott 26 of 28 for a .929.

Looking ahead, it’s going to be really interesting to see how St. Louis — a that doesn’t exactly have a reputation for mental fortitude in the playoffs — will respond to this turn of events. It’ll also be curious to see how momentum shifts now that the series is going back to Chicago and the United Center, one of the loudest arenas in the NHL.