The Calgary Flames probably don’t want to contend for the title of “most dangerous spoiler,” but with the playoffs out of sight, that might just be their role for the next month.
However you want to spin it, Monday’s game between the St. Louis Blues was positively wild, right down to the final score: 7-4 in favor of the Flames.
To give you an idea of what happened (notice the word “all” wasn’t used?*), let’s bask at the bullet points of this one:
- The first period ended with a 2-2 tie. It seemed like Paul Stastny was right in saying that there were fluke goals, but as it turns out, that opening frame really just set the stage for a zany contest.
- Michael Frolik earned his second-career hat trick in a pretty strange way. Two of his goals came via shorthanded breakaways while his third was an empty-netter.
- Jake Allen saw his hot streak end as he was pulled during this game.
- Some dude apparently won a car, but only after a goal stood following a review:
- The Blues flirted with actually rallying to win, making it a 5-4 game … for a little while. Ultimately, their six-game winning streak is over in staggering fashion.
- Naturally, there was some controversy, too.
Aside from that lucky car-winning fella, the biggest winners might be the idle Dallas Stars, who watched the Blues and Chicago Blackhawks lose embarrassingly in regulation on Monday.
* – It would be easy to miss something weird in this game, after all.