O’Reilly apologizes, but ‘not going to say exactly what happened’ in DUI incident

8 Comments

Interesting bit here from the Buffalo News on Sabres center Ryan O'Reilly, who on Tuesday made his first remarks after being charged with impaired driving in July.

“After this week it’ll be sorted out and I can comment more on it, but it’s an unfortunate situation,” O’Reilly explained. “I think with the way the Sabres have invested in me and seen light in me, to be involved in a situation like that it’s definitely unfortunate. I would never want to do that, so I definitely apologize to all the fans and just the kids that see the situation.

“I’m not going to say exactly what has happened. That’s going to come out in court.”

Back on July 13, news broke that O’Reilly had been charged by Ontario Provincial Police with impaired driving and leaving the scene following an alleged incident at a Tim Horton’s restaurant.

More:

O’Reilly, 24, from Bluewater, Ont., had been charged with driving a motor vehicle while ability impaired (alcohol) and care or control over 80 mgs.

He was also charged under the Highway Traffic Act with failing to remain at the scene.

According to Middlesex County OPP, a green Chevrolet pickup struck struck a commercial building on Richmond St. last Thursday morning (July 9) just after 4:00am. An employee of the Lucan Tim Hortons confirmed to AM980 that there had been a motor vehicle incident, but was unaware of the driver’s identity.

After the collision, police say a suspect drove the vehicle southbound on Saintsbury Line, before abandoning it and traveling by foot with another, unnamed, male occupant.

The OPP report says the individuals were later found, with police determining the driver had been drinking alcohol.

O’Reilly’s first court appearance — which he wasn’t required to attend — was on Aug. 20, at which time the decision was made to continue the case until Sept. 10, which is two days from now.

In discussing the incident, the former Lady Byng winner said he felt “horrible” about the situation and re-iterated his apology to Sabres fans — but he also left some ambiguity as to what actually happened on the night in question, and how it will be resolved.

“I’m not saying the outcome is set yet,” he said. “But just to be in a situation like that and have it come out the way it’s been spun, it is unfortunate.”