The Nashville Predators continue to remain hopeful that they can come to terms with pending unrestricted free agent Mike Ribeiro.
According to the Tennessean, Preds’ GM David Poile presented Ribeiro’s camp with an offer and a deadline to accept.
“We have offered Mike a contract,” Poile said on Tuesday. “We’ve had some negotiations in the last couple of days but have not been able to come to an agreement. I really think it’s going to happen or not happen (Tuesday). I’m hopeful that it does. We want him back, but we’ll have to see how negotiations go in that area.”
Ribeiro signed a one-year, $1.05 million deal with Nashville last summer after being bought out by the Arizona Coyotes.
In 82 games last season the 35-year-old scored 15 goals and 62 points.
Nashville is interested in bringing Ribeiro back despite the fact that he is currently the subject of a civil lawsuit filed by his former nanny, who claims that Ribeiro sexually assaulted her in 2012.
“Last year before we signed Mike, we talked to he and his family a lot about his past and I guess you could say his plan and his commitment for moving forward for both on and off the ice,” Poile said. “As it turned out, I think Mike was a good teammate and he was a productive player. I don’t think anybody would argue with that. I think he was great among his teammates, and his wife and he were excellent in the community.
“This civil suit was filed in March, and at that time and now, we do not think it’s appropriate to comment since this case is in the legal process. I think it’s more important to point out once again this is a civil case and there have (been) no criminal charges filed or alleged.”
If Ribeiro and the Preds don’t come to terms on a new deal, he is eligible to hit the open market on Wednesday.