Pens’ Letang expects to be ready for training camp

21 Comments

Since being cleared for workouts earlier this month, Kris Letang says he’s been in his normal offseason routine.

Letang suffered his latest concussion on a hit from Shane Doan on March 28 and missed the final six games of the regular season and all five Penguins’ playoff games.

“I would say since I got fully cleared, I’ve done everything I wanted and I would say I’m at the same level in training that I was a year ago,” Letang told reporters in Las Vegas on Tuesday. “I didn’t go on the ice yet, but I’ve been in the gym going all out and no restrictions and everything went well.

“Without a doubt, I think I’m going to be ready for training camp. No doubt about that.”

The blue liner is a finalist for the Masterton Trophy along with Devan Dubnyk and Andrew Hammond.

Letang set career highs in assists (43) and points (54) while averaging 25:29 a night in ice time in 69 games during the 2014-15 season.

Despite his health issues, he suffered a stroke in February 2014; Letang says he’s not concerned about returning to the game.

“If today I’m working out, it’s because I have no fear of that,” he said. “For sure it’s in the back of my head, but I want to keep going and be a part of the Penguins and play at the level I can play at because I have no fear.”

As for the next step in his offseason workout, Letang says he plans on hitting the ice next month.

“Usually I target around the end of July, beginning of August,” said Letang. “I don’t want to go on the ice too early, but honestly it’s not something I’m looking for… ice is kind of like the same thing as the gym, I think when I reach a certain level in the gym, I know if I’m ready or not.”