Gagne won’t return to Bruins this season due to personal reasons

20 Comments

Simon Gagne’s brief tenure with the Boston Bruins has come to an unfortunate end.

From the club:

Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that forward Simon Gagne has decided not to return to the team this season due to personal reasons. Given his decision, the Bruins have changed Gagne’s status to “suspended player”.

“At this time Simon feels that he has to be home with his family and he has the complete support of the Boston Bruins organization with this decision,” said Chiarelli. “Given Simon’s decision not to return to the team, we have to change his status to maintain a full roster. I spoke to Simon about this, and he assured me that we have his full support with this status change.”

“The last month has been extremely difficult for me with my father being sick and his passing,” said Gagne. “To play in the NHL you have to be 100% mentally, emotionally and physically committed to the game. At this time I know that I cannot be close to those levels. The Bruins organization and my teammates have been great to my family and I during this time.”

Gagne, 34, signed with the Bruins in mid-October after playing with the team through training camp and the preseason. The move marked his return to the NHL after taking a one-year hiatus; he scored three goals and four points in 23 games for Boston, averaging 11:18 TOI per night.

Gagne first left the B’s on Dec. 10 to be with his father, who passed away later that month following a battle with liver cancer.