Luongo back in Vancouver: ‘I just want to make the best of it’

8 Comments

He’s back in Vancouver.

Yes, Roberto Luongo took to the ice with his Canucks teammates on Friday and, naturally, his appearance in a uniform many thought he’d never wear again and a city many thought he’d only return to as a member of another team was cause for a massive media gathering.

Although, apparently, he didn’t really answer the question that was on a lot of people’s minds: is he happy to be back in Vancouver?

I’ve said all along I want to play,” Luongo told reporters. “Now I have that opportunity.

“I want to take advantage of that and I want to win some games. I want to go as far as we can and hopefully win the Stanley Cup. It’s a big year for me.”

He comes back to Vancouver as the undisputed starting goaltender (we revert your attention to his ProHockeyTalk piece on the Canucks’ back-up situation).

Luongo revealed to TSN’s James Duthie in an interview that was aired in August that he would be returning to the Canucks, following weeks of silence on his part and speculation from media and fans as to his future in Vancouver.

The Canucks’ ongoing goaltending saga hit its climax at the NHL Draft in June, when the organization, unable to trade Luongo and his 12-year, $64 million contract, shipped fellow netminder Cory Schneider to the New Jersey Devils for the ninth overall pick.

Schneider had been given the starting goalie duties midway through Vancouver’s first-round playoff series with the L.A. Kings back in 2012, and had retained the title when the 2013 regular season resumed following the lockout.