Infamous Vancouver rioter arrested for his role in destruction

getty Images
7 Comments

With the 2011 Stanley Cup Final riots behind us, we’re seeing the fallout starting to filter through media outlets. We’ve seen plenty of pictures of good-willed Vancouverites taking back their city with messages of goodwill (to both business owners and law enforcement). We’ve learned the identity and story behind a soon-to-be iconic photograph of peace amongst violence. On the other end of the spectrum, law enforcement has found the man child behind one of the most disheartening photographs to come out of the embarrassing event.

Plenty of pictures have made the rounds over the last few days. There’s the aforementioned picture of the couple kissing in the middle of the street between a mob and riot police. There’s the photo of the Vancouver skyline with separate fires billowing from the streets below. But nothing captured the sheer ignorance and stupidity of the rioters more than the kid in a Christian Ehrhoff shersey holding a hockey stick and celebrating after destroying the windows to a Bank of Montreal branch. It was exactly the type of individual that embarrassed Vancouver residents and disgusted outsiders tuning into the night’s festivities.

Thanks to the wonders of social media and peer pressure, the individual was arrested—in front of his classmates no less. Here’s the story as told by Deadspin:

“…and today the publicity caught up with this high school student who took part in smashing the windows at the Bank of Montreal branch at Homer and Georgia. We don’t have to name him, since it’s all over the internet. And scuttlebutt from classmates says he was arrested at school yesterday, on the last day of classes.”

It’s good to hear that the citizens of Vancouver are taking a hold of their city by identifying and reporting as many of these thugs as possible.  Who says social media can’t be productive?

Maple Leafs’ Ryan O’Reilly out long term with broken finger

Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

NEWARK, N.J. — Toronto Maple Leafs center Ryan O’Reilly will be out of action for quite some time because of a broken finger.

O’Reilly is going on long-term injured reserve, coach Sheldon Keefe said. That means the 32-year-old must miss the next 10 games.

He won’t be eligible to return until Toronto’s game March 29 against Florida at the earliest. The playoffs are set to begin April 17.

The Maple Leafs acquired O’Reilly in a trade with St. Louis last month. He has since put up five points in eight games before taking a puck off his left hand late in the second period of a 4-1 loss at Vancouver.

Keefe added Leafs captain John Tavares will be held out of the lineup with an undisclosed ailment when the team visits the New Jersey Devils to wrap up a five-game road trip.

In corresponding moves, the Leafs recalled forwards Pontus Holmberg and Alex Steeves from the American Hockey League’s Toronto Marlies, and loaned goaltender Joseph Woll to the club’s top affiliate.

O’Reilly was one of six new players Toronto general manager Kyle Dubas brought in before the trade deadline in an effort to make the team more competitive. A Stanley Cup winner and playoff MVP in 2019, O’Reilly won 84.4% of his faceoffs with the Leafs before going 3 of 11 against the Canucks.

Toronto is currently second in the Atlantic Division, five points up on the Tampa Bay Lightning, who have lost five in a row and eight of their last 10 games. The Leafs and Lightning are on track to face each other in the first round of the playoffs.

McDavid scores two in Oilers’ 3-2 win over Sabres

Getty Images
0 Comments

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Edmonton Oilers coach Jay Woodcroft likes to compare watching Connor McDavid play to living at the foot of Mount Everest, and being almost numbed by taking in the spectacular scene on a daily basis.

That view turned breathtaking for Woodcroft and the Oilers on Monday night, in witnessing McDavid score twice to push his NHL-leading goal total to 54, and set a career high with 124 points in a 3-2 win over the Buffalo Sabres.

“The finish was all-world,” Woodcroft said of McDavid scoring the go-ahead goal on the fly by beating Craig Anderson through the legs 3:23 into the third period, and less than two minutes after the Sabres tied the game at 2.

“I saw someone that was competitive right from the puck right from the puck drop,” he added. “Connor’s at a different evolutionary stage in his game right now, and I think everyone saw that here tonight.”

McDavid continued making a case to win his third Hart MVP Trophy in eight seasons with his 12th multi-goal game of the year. His 124 points in 65 games are one more than the career-best he set in 80 games last year, and McDavid extended his points streak to 11 games, in which the Oilers’ captain has 12 goals and 15 assists.

“Who’s more likely to make a big play than him?” asked teammate Zach Hyman in wonder. “He’s the best player in the world, and he’s pushing his own boundaries. He’s been driving the bus for a long time and continues to get better.”

Derek Ryan also scored and Stuart Skinner stopped 37 shots for the Oilers, who improved to 5-4-3 in their past 12, and bounced back from a 7-5 loss at Winnipeg on Saturday.

Jeff Skinner and Dylan Cozens scored for the Sabres, and Anderson stopped 34 shots.

In dropping to 6-4 in its past 10, Buffalo continued its season-long struggles at home in losing five of its past seven.

Buffalo (32-26-4), in the midst of an NHL-worst 11-season playoff drought, failed to gain ground in a tight Eastern Conference race. The day began with four points separating the seventh-place New York Islanders, and ninth-place Buffalo, which was locked in a four-way tie with teams with 68 points.

Earlier in the day, Sabres coach Don Granato, declined to say whether he considered McDavid to be a step above everyone else in the league out of deference to his young stars. Afterward, Granato had no choice but to praise the Oilers’ captain, who scored twice on three shots on net.

“He’s got 50-plus for a reason, he doesn’t need many (shots),” Granato said. “He’s done that to lots of teams and goaltenders, and he was ready for his opportunities. That’s what makes him special.”

The Oilers (35-22-8) moved into a tie with Seattle for third in the Pacific Division.

After opening the scoring in the first period, McDavid scored the go-ahead goal early in the third period, shortly after Cozens tied the game.

Warren Foegele drove up the left wing to gain the Sabres zone and then spun to hit McDavid in stride cutting up the middle. McDavid veered to his left to get by defender Jacob Bryson, and snapped a shot in though Anderson’s legs.

It was McDavid’s ninth game-winning goal of the season, after he began the day in a four-way tie for second and one behind teammate Leon Draisaitl.

INJURIES Oilers LW Evander Kane, who is traveling with the team, missed his ninth game with a rib injury. … The Sabres were without C Tyson Jost and Ds Mattias Samuelsson and Riley Stillman (head), who are listed day to day.

UP NEXT

Oilers: At the Boston Bruins on Thursday night.

Sabres: At the New York Islanders on Tuesday night.

Cale Makar cleared to return 2nd time from concussion protocol

Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports
3 Comments

DENVER — Defenseman Cale Makar has been cleared to return to the Colorado Avalanche lineup after two different hits over an 11-day span landed him both times in the league’s concussion protocol.

“Ready to go,” Makar told reporters about his plans to play in Dallas.

The Norris Trophy winner missed five straight games and nine of the last 10 due to two separate hits involving his head. He suffered the first one Feb. 7 at Pittsburgh, returned to play a game but then left again after taking a glove to his visor at St. Louis on Feb. 18.

“I can’t put myself in positions to take those kind of hits,” Makar said after practice. “But at the same time stuff happens. Couple of unlucky bounces.”

Makar leads the league in ice time with an average of nearly 27 minutes a game. He’s also tops among Colorado defensemen with 13 goals and 45 points.

The Stanley Cup champions took care of business in his absence. They trail the Stars by six points for the top spot in the Central Division (and played three fewer games than Dallas).

“I love watching hockey. But I hate watching my own games,” the 24-year-old Makar said. “These things take time and I think us as a team and individuals understand that. There’s no pressure from anybody in terms of trying to rush back.

“Obviously, there’s jokes and stuff, guys want you to come back earlier, but at points like this, you have to do what’s in your best interest. I’ve felt I kind of put that at the forefront lately and the team’s helped me do that.”

Makar took his first hit to the head in a collision with Pittsburgh’s Jeff Carter on Feb. 7. Makar passed all of the NHL’s concussion testing to clear protocol and told team medical staff that he felt good about returning.

In his first game back on Feb. 18, Makar was reinjured early in the third period when St. Louis forward Alexey Toropchenko made contact with his face with his right glove as they went after a loose puck.

Makar explained that his symptoms were mild after the second hit, but didn’t rush back in light of the first one.

“I’m not going to put myself in a situation where I can hurt myself more,” Makar said. “I would have been more inclined to feel like playing if I didn’t have that first collision after this one. I think it would have been fine. Obviously you don’t want these things to compound.”

He added: “There are so many things that we still have to learn about injuries like this. I still think the league does its best to protect guys from this.”

NOTES: Avalanche coach Jared Bednar said defenseman Josh Manson was going to miss some time. Bednar said it’s related to a lower-body injury that kept Manson out for 31 games from Dec. 3 to Feb. 14. … Forward Valeri Nichushkin was sick and Bednar wasn’t sure if he would play.

Stars acquire Max Domi in trade with Blackhawks

Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
2 Comments

CHICAGO — The Dallas Stars acquired Max Domi in a trade with the Chicago Blackhawks on the forward’s 28th birthday.

The move was announced after Dallas’ 5-2 victory at Chicago. Domi was scratched for what the Blackhawks said was “roster management.”

“We’re excited to add a player of Max’s caliber to our lineup,” Stars general manager Jim Nill said in a release. “His offense this season speaks for itself, but he’ll also provide energy, grit and a veteran presence as we continue our push to the postseason.”

The addition of Domi gives Dallas another veteran forward as it angles for playoff positioning. The Stars (33-16-13) are on top of the Western Conference, one point better than the idle Vegas Golden Knights.

Dallas also got minor league goaltender Dylan Wells from Chicago for veteran goaltender Anton Khudobin and a 2025 second-round pick.

The lowly Blackhawks (21-35-5) continue to lean into their tanking strategy, hoping for a chance to take Connor Bedard with the No. 1 pick in the draft.

Longtime star Patrick Kane, forwards Domi and Sam Lafferty and defensemen Jake McCabe and Jack Johnson have been traded away by Chicago.

The Blackhawks also made two minor deals. They acquired Maxim Golod from Anaheim for Dylan Sikura in a swap of minor league forwards, and they got forward Anders Bjork from Buffalo in exchange for future considerations.

Domi had a team-best 18 goals and 31 assists in 60 games with Chicago. He had two goals and an assist in a 4-3 victory at Dallas last week.

Domi, the son of former NHL forward Tie Domi, signed a $3 million, one-year contract with the Blackhawks in July.

The 36-year-old Khudobin was likely included for salary cap purposes. He hasn’t appeared in an NHL game this season. The Blackhawks said he would report to Rockford of the American Hockey League.

The Stars assigned Wells and loaned forwards Fredrik Karlstrom and Fredrik Olofsson and goaltender Matt Murray to the AHL’s Texas Stars.