Judging a team by its first three games is incredibly hasty in an 82-game season, but the Anaheim Ducks are making it pretty difficult to refrain from “fire and brimstone” talk. They haven’t just gone 0-3, they’ve been absolutely decimated.
Most people assumed that their defense would be a weakness thanks to the retirement of Scott Niedermayer and departure of other pieces over the years, and that’s exactly right. The Ducks allowed a disturbing 13 goals in three games so far, more than 4 goals per game. You cannot lay the blame solely at goalie Jonas Hiller’s feet or point to bad luck, either. When your team allows more than twice as many shots (145) as they produce (72) and that total is just a sniff under 50 shots per game, your defense is putrid.
It’s not as if these contests have been a shooting gallery, either, as the Ducks offense is as impotent as their defense is clueless. Despite dressing talented forwards such as Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu, Anaheim only scored two goals so far this season (both by Koivu).
No doubt about it, Anaheim’s opening performances have been downright abysmal. The question is, will they right the ship? There are a few reasons why they might but justifiable cause to wonder if this might be a nightmare season. Let’s take a quick glance at both sides of the argument.
Why things could get better
- The Ducks are slow starters: As Earl Sleek points out in a Battle of California post that gave reasons to be positive while pointing out how bad the first two games were, Anaheim is a team that takes a while to wake up in the regular season. Sleek wrote that the Ducks made the playoffs twice in the three times the franchise started a season 0-3.
- The Ducks have talent: While they missed the playoffs last year, they still have some of the best forwards in the NHL and a talented goalie in Hiller. They’re not quite as hopeless as some of the NHL’s worst from 09-10 from a talent standpoint.
Why things might not get better
- Their defense is brutal: Even at 100 percent health, the Ducks blue line is a stark contrast from the group that helped them bully their way to a Stanley Cup. When Lubomir Visnovsky is probably your best defenseman, you better score a lot of goals.
- The Curse of Chris Pronger: The Blues still aren’t regular fixtures in the playoffs since Pronger left while the Oilers continue to pick up the pieces. Oddly enough, it’s hard to replace a guy who menaces the competition into timid play for nearly half of a game.
If you ask me, the Ducks will get a bit better (you can only lose by 3-4 goals so many times, right?) but will need a drastic change to make the playoffs. Let’s just say that coach Randy Carlyle might want to update his resume if things don’t improve soon.
CHICAGO — Blackhawks forward Boris Katchouk will be sidelined for four to six weeks with a left ankle sprain, the team announced Sunday.
The 24-year-old Katchouk played almost 12 minutes during a 3-0 preseason loss to Detroit on Saturday night. He was acquired in a multiplayer trade with Tampa Bay in March.
The Blackhawks open the season on Oct. 12 at Colorado.
The team also said forward Jujhar Khaira is day to day with a right ankle injury.
ANAHEIM, Calif. — Ducks defenseman Urho Vaakanainen was taken off the Honda Center ice on a stretcher after he crashed into the end boards in the first period of Anaheim’s preseason game against the San Jose Sharks.
The Finnish defenseman was conscious and alert with full movement in his extremities at UCI Medical Center, the Ducks said.
The frightening incident occurred midway through the opening period when Vaakanainen smashed into the boards at a dangerous speed behind the Sharks’ net. Vaakanainen appeared to be concentrating on the pass he had just made to Derek Grant, who scored the Ducks’ opening goal on the assist.
Vaakanainen’s teammates came onto the ice and gathered around him as he was taken away on the stretcher.
The Ducks acquired the 23-year-old Vaakanainen from Boston last March in the deal that sent longtime Ducks defenseman Hampus Lindholm to the Bruins. After recording two assists in 14 games for the Ducks last season, Vaakanainen is attempting to win a top-six role on Anaheim’s defense this fall.
TAMPA, Fla. — The Tampa Bay Lightning and team owner Jeff Vinik are donating $2 million toward Hurricane Ian relief efforts.
The NHL team announced that $1 million each will be donated by the Tampa Bay Lightning Foundation and the Vinik Family Foundation.
“This is a tragic situation for many families and communities across the state of Florida, but especially so in the southwest region of the state,” Vinik said in a statement released by the team. “In times like these the most important thing we can do is support one another, and we hope this donation will help families recover and rebuild in the months to come.”
Ian made landfall Wednesday on Florida’s Gulf Coast, south of the Tampa Bay area. The Lightning postponed two home preseason games and moved the club’s training camp to Nashville, Tennessee, during the storm.
TORONTO — Rasmus Sandin has signed a two-year, $2.8 million contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs, the club announced on Thursday.
The 22-year-old from Sweden was the 29th overall selection in the 2018 draft. Sandin had 16 points in 51 games with Toronto last season. He’s played in 88 career regular-season games, with six goals and 22 assists, and has one goal in five playoff games.
“Got a great set of tools,” fellow defenseman Jake Muzzin said. “With experience, I think they’re only going to get better.”
The signing comes as the Leafs’ blueliners been hit hard by injuries. Muzzin has been dealing with a back issue, and Timothy Liljegren recently had surgery for a hernia.
Toronto then lost Jamie Benn (groin) and Carl Dahlstrom (shoulder) in Wednesday’s 3-0 preseason victory over the Montreal Canadiens, pressing forwards Calle Jarnkrok and Alexander Kerfoot into defensive roles for two periods.