Who knows if the province of Quebec can actually land another NHL team, but their politicians certainly seem like they’re doing their best to make it happen.
We’ve been all over this rumor-laden story so far and while it’s far from a done deal that they’ll build a new arena – let alone add an existing or expansion NHL team – recent reports give reason to at least discuss the possibility. Marianne White of The Montreal Gazette reports that Quebec City will cover 45 percent of the estimated $400 million it would cost to build a new arena.
Quebec Premier Jean Charest detailed some of the plans and what would need to happen for the remaining 55 percent to be covered.
Charest said the province is going ahead with the project even though there’s no guarantee of either the return of an NHL franchise or an eventual Winter Olympics bid.
“Let’s do it and if it helps to obtain a hockey team, so be it, if it helps us obtain the Winter Olympics, so be it,” Charest said.
The city would put in $50 million.
With the province’s commitment, Charest is turning up the pressure on the federal government to come up with the remaining 45 per cent – an estimated $175 million – needed to build the arena.
Labeaume and Charest both said Tuesday Ottawa needs to pledge the funds for the arena “as soon as possible.”
Read the original article for more details about the planners’ estimates of how much money this arena would earn with (or without) a hockey team. Naturally, there can often be a big gulf between estimates and actual profits, but it would be wise for planners to assume the worst (i.e. that they might not be able to attract an NHL team).
No doubt about it, though, it would be quite refreshing to see Canada gain an NHL team for a change. I mean, that’s what Jim Balsillie wanted the whole time, right?
CHICAGO — Blackhawks forward Boris Katchouk will be sidelined for four to six weeks with a left ankle sprain, the team announced Sunday.
The 24-year-old Katchouk played almost 12 minutes during a 3-0 preseason loss to Detroit on Saturday night. He was acquired in a multiplayer trade with Tampa Bay in March.
The Blackhawks open the season on Oct. 12 at Colorado.
The team also said forward Jujhar Khaira is day to day with a right ankle injury.
ANAHEIM, Calif. — Ducks defenseman Urho Vaakanainen was taken off the Honda Center ice on a stretcher after he crashed into the end boards in the first period of Anaheim’s preseason game against the San Jose Sharks.
The Finnish defenseman was conscious and alert with full movement in his extremities at UCI Medical Center, the Ducks said.
The frightening incident occurred midway through the opening period when Vaakanainen smashed into the boards at a dangerous speed behind the Sharks’ net. Vaakanainen appeared to be concentrating on the pass he had just made to Derek Grant, who scored the Ducks’ opening goal on the assist.
Vaakanainen’s teammates came onto the ice and gathered around him as he was taken away on the stretcher.
The Ducks acquired the 23-year-old Vaakanainen from Boston last March in the deal that sent longtime Ducks defenseman Hampus Lindholm to the Bruins. After recording two assists in 14 games for the Ducks last season, Vaakanainen is attempting to win a top-six role on Anaheim’s defense this fall.
TAMPA, Fla. — The Tampa Bay Lightning and team owner Jeff Vinik are donating $2 million toward Hurricane Ian relief efforts.
The NHL team announced that $1 million each will be donated by the Tampa Bay Lightning Foundation and the Vinik Family Foundation.
“This is a tragic situation for many families and communities across the state of Florida, but especially so in the southwest region of the state,” Vinik said in a statement released by the team. “In times like these the most important thing we can do is support one another, and we hope this donation will help families recover and rebuild in the months to come.”
Ian made landfall Wednesday on Florida’s Gulf Coast, south of the Tampa Bay area. The Lightning postponed two home preseason games and moved the club’s training camp to Nashville, Tennessee, during the storm.
TORONTO — Rasmus Sandin has signed a two-year, $2.8 million contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs, the club announced on Thursday.
The 22-year-old from Sweden was the 29th overall selection in the 2018 draft. Sandin had 16 points in 51 games with Toronto last season. He’s played in 88 career regular-season games, with six goals and 22 assists, and has one goal in five playoff games.
“Got a great set of tools,” fellow defenseman Jake Muzzin said. “With experience, I think they’re only going to get better.”
The signing comes as the Leafs’ blueliners been hit hard by injuries. Muzzin has been dealing with a back issue, and Timothy Liljegren recently had surgery for a hernia.
Toronto then lost Jamie Benn (groin) and Carl Dahlstrom (shoulder) in Wednesday’s 3-0 preseason victory over the Montreal Canadiens, pressing forwards Calle Jarnkrok and Alexander Kerfoot into defensive roles for two periods.