The Edmonton Oilers beefed up their roster on Monday by acquiring Mike Brown from Toronto. In exchange, the Leafs get a fourth-round pick in 2014 that becomes a third-rounder if the Oilers make the playoffs this year.
Brown, 27, has appeared in 12 games for the Maple Leafs this season, recording one assist while racking up 70 PIM (with five fighting majors).
He averaged 4:39 time on ice per game, but hasn’t played since recording his lone point of the year in a loss to Montreal on Feb. 27.
It’s easy to see why this move was made.
Edmonton has openly stated its desire to add toughness in recent weeks — the team reportedly had interest in ex-Canuck Aaron Volpatti before he was claimed off waivers by the Capitals.
That said, it’s curious the organization felt the need for more toughness given it already has Theo Peckham, Mark Fistric and Ben Eager (not to mention the fact Darcy Hordichuk was sent to AHL Oklahoma City earlier this year.)
As for Toronto, it could afford to lose Brown.
The club has three legitimate tough guys in the lineup — Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren, Mark Fraser — who have combined to fight 15 times already this year.
Two veteran NHLers that have already spent time in the press box will be back there again on Thursday.
In Edmonton, defenseman Ryan Whitney will be a healthy scratch when the Oilers take on the Minnesota Wild. Theo Peckham will replace Whitney in the lineup and make his season debut.
Whitney has been held out of three games this year by head coach Ralph Krueger,
In Florida, forward Alexei Kovalev will be a healthy scratch when the Panthers take on the Flyers in Philadelphia.
Kovalev, who turns 40 on Sunday, has missed just two games this season and has put up decent numbers following a one-year hiatus from the NHL, recording 2G-3A-5PTS while averaging over 16 minutes per game.
It sounds as though winger Mike Santorelli will draw into the Florida lineup to replace Kovalev.
The Edmonton Oilers made a pair of roster moves on Tuesday, putting forward Ben Eager (concussion) on injured reserve while activating defenseman Theo Peckham.
Eager, 29, suffered his concussion during a third period fight with Zack Kassian in Edmonton’s season-opening victory over Vancouver. Eager didn’t return to the game following the tilt, and has been held out of the Oilers’ last four games.
Peckham, 25, has yet to play this season due to a groin injury suffered during training camp.
The Oilers are set to embark on a three-game road trip through Phoenix, San Jose and Colorado, so it’s likely Peckham will make his season debut away from Rexall.
Edmonton has essentially gone without a tough guy in its forward rotation since Eager got hurt. Darcy Hordichuk has dressed for just one game — Saturday’s loss against Calgary — and only played 1:11,
which still felt like too much.
The San Francisco Bulls have added another locked-out NHLer to the fold, signing Wild forward Torrey Mitchell to a standard player contract.
The move is a reunion of sorts — the Bulls are an affiliate of the San Jose Sharks, who employed Mitchell for his first five seasons in the NHL.
Mitchell inked a three-year, $5.7 million deal with Minnesota in July.
“The entire organization is excited about seeing Torrey in a San Francisco Bulls uniform,” Bulls President/Head Coach Pat Curcio said in a statement. “We know how much of a fan favorite Torrey was with San Jose. We expect Bulls fans to feel the same way when they see him play at the Cow Palace.”
Mitchell joins Edmonton’s Theo Peckham (since departed) and former Sharks teammate Ryane Clowe as NHLers that have joined the Bulls since the work stoppage.
Clowe isn’t technically playing for San Fran, mind you — only practicing. On game nights, he’s behind the bench serving as Curcio’s assistant…though one wonders if he might get a few games in should the labor strife end soon.
The ECHL’s Ontario Reign suspended Devin Setoguchi indefinitely on Tuesday.
Reign coach Jason Christie told the San Bernardino and Inland Empire Sun that Setoguchi left the team (and missed practice) for personal reasons. Setoguchi reportedly said he’s open to playing for Ontario again, although it won’t happen for at least 45 days.
The Minnesota Wild winger has been productive for the Reign, scoring four goals and 13 points with a +7 rating in 10 games.
His short-term team was playing well, too. Ontario currently leads the ECHL’s Pacific Division with an 18-6-1 record, including a 7-2-1 mark in the last 10 contests.
Considering that 45-day window and other factors, it wouldn’t be surprising if Setoguchi has played his last game in the ECHL.
Even so, the lockout’s been a solid coup for the ECHL overall. Theo Peckham, Scott Gomez, BJ Crombeen, Kyle Clifford, Ryan O’Byrne, Mike Stuart and Ryan Reaves are among the NHL players who spent at least a portion of time there.
Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune clarifies the suspension…
Setoguchi, who turns 26 New Year’s Day, says it’s as simple as he decided not to play during the holidays and there was no incident that caused a suspension. He says it was announced as a suspension so this way the Reign doesn’t have to pay him but retains his rights in case he decides to come back if the NHL season is canceled.
“It’s not like I got suspended for doing something,” Setoguchi said. “[The coach] wants to keep me on the roster, but this way no one else can pick me up.”
So there you have it.