Tag: Teemu Selanne

Robyn Regehr, James Sheppard

Sutter: Regehr has knee injury, still not skating


We don’t know when Robyn Regehr will be back, but we now know what’s keeping him out.

On Thursday, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter told reporters Regehr, who hasn’t played since Game 1 of the Anaheim series, is out with a knee injury and is still unable to take to the ice.

“Robyn’s not skating,” Sutter said, per NHL.com. “When Robyn’s ready to skate, he’ll skate. It’s a knee injury, and obviously he’ll make that decision. If he could play on one leg, he would. He showed it last year in the playoffs.

“If there’s a way to skate, he’d be playing.”

Regehr, 34, was hurt during a collision with Teemu Selanne 19 days ago. He was averaging over 17 minutes a night and was a key contributor for the Kings in their comeback against San Jose in the opening round, registering an assist in Game 6 while finishing plus-3 in Game 7.

Ducks to revisit trading for Kesler?

Ryan Kesler

Interesting tidbit here from the L.A. Times on Anaheim GM Bob Murray’s plans for the offseason:

Murray said he might revisit his trade-deadline attempt to acquire Vancouver center Ryan Kesler, or pursue other upgrades.

“I don’t think I’ll offer as much as I did at the trade deadline,” Murray said, without naming Kesler. “There’s [other] things I might like to do and I would spend — I’m deep enough in players — to do so.”

Following the deadline, Murray essentially confirmed the club’s interest in Kesler, saying he put both of his first-round selections at the draft in play — which would later turn into the No. 10 and 24 picks overall — and was “confused” as to why he came away empty-handed.

At the time, Anaheim was keen to add to the center group of Ryan Getzlaf, Nick Bonino, Mathieu Perreault, Saku Koivu and Rickard Rakell. With Koivu now uncertain to return, the need to add centers remains — and what’s more, both Murray and Ducks players suggested roster shortcomings cost them this postseason.

“Obviously, we’re missing a little bit of something,” Andrew Cogliano told the Times.

“We’re not as close as everyone thought we were,” Murray added.

Which brings us back to Kesler.

There’s no denying the Ducks were angling for something at the deadline — Murray shipped out Dustin Penner and Viktor Fasth in what appeared to be cap-clearing moves — and, after failing to land the Vancouver center, players spoke openly about the opportunity missed.

“You think about it for sure because you hear the rumors and you hear people talking about it,” Cogliano said on Mar. 31, per the O.C. Register (paywall). “I think you envision a little bit of a scenario if he did come.”

“When you get those kinds of rumors and the opportunities that a guy like Kesler is available, you get pretty excited,” Teemu Selanne added.

The lingering issue here is the value of Murray’s offer. He thinks it’s high — evident by the fact he plans to offer less this summer — whereas the feeling around the league is that two first-round picks (both outside the top five) in a relatively weak draft isn’t enough to land Kesler, a former 40-goal scorer and Selke winner.

Murray will also contend that at the deadline, he was getting Kesler for at least three postseasons (he’s under contract ’til 2016) whereas now he’d only be guaranteed two.

It’s also worth noting that another talented center — Ottawa captain Jason Spezza — is believed to be available via trade, and that Anaheim is reportedly interested.

Saku Koivu to ‘take a couple of weeks’ to decide on future

Anaheim Ducks v Los Angeles Kings - Game Four

“I’ll take a couple of weeks to decide [on my future]. Get away for a little bit and then take it from there.”

That was Saku Koivu today, per the Ducks’ Twitter feed, talking about his playing career, and whether he hopes to continue it next season.

Koivu is a pending unrestricted free agent. The 39-year-old forward had 11 goals and 18 assists in 65 regular-season games, but only one assist in 13 playoff games.

In Anaheim’s Game 7 loss to Los Angeles, Koivu logged just 6:37 of playing time.

“I thought Game 4 and Game 5, he was as good as we had at center,” said Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau. “His ice time went down when we needed a goal.”

Boudreau added: “He’d win faceoffs, he would compete, he would do a great job. I don’t know what the plans are for him, what his mindset is or what [general manager Bob Murray’s] mindset towards him is. It’s just one of those things you wait out and see.”

Related: Teemu Selanne: ‘It has been a pleasure to be around for so many years’

Ducks GM Bob Murray gets extension through 2020

Bob Murray

Bob Murray has been the Anaheim Ducks’ general manager since 2008 and with the team swinging upwards, there’s no plan to change course now. Consequently, the Ducks announced that they have signed Murray to a four-year contract extension that will take him through 2020.

Murray worked under former Ducks GM Brian Burke when the team won the Stanley Cup in 2007. The Ducks haven’t gotten past the second round since then, but they have made the playoffs in four of Murray’s six campaigns, despite the budget limitations he’s faced.

Under his watch, the team has undergone a youth movement that they’re started to reap the rewards of. Defensemen Cam Fowler and Hampus Lindholm, who played significant roles in the 2013-14 campaign, are two early examples of that, but there’s still have a lot of talent coming. They have the second best farm system by Hockey’s Future’s estimation, even after factoring out several “graduated” players like Fowler, Lindholm, Devante Smith-Pelly, and Emerson Etem.

One of their most promising prospects, goaltender John Gibson, might play a big role next season. The Ducks turned to him during the second round of the playoffs despite his lack of NHL experience and while he was far from perfect, he also showed a lot of promise. Then again, the Ducks might go with a more experienced option in 2014-15 to give Gibson additional time to develop.

Either way, the next task for the Ducks will be getting past the second round and moving on from the Teemu Selanne era. Although Selanne’s role was limited this season, the 43-year-old forward has been a fixture of this team for many years. His presence and leadership will be missed.

Teemu Selanne: ‘It has been a pleasure to be around for so many years’

Teemu Selanne

It was an emotional end for Teemu Selanne on Friday.

The Anaheim Ducks lost to the L.A. Kings in Game 7 of their second-round series, and it’s Selanne’s intention to retire from his playing career. He’s 43 years old and has had a Hall-of-Fame career on the ice, with 684 goals and 1,457 points in 1,451 regular season games. More importantly, he’s gained the respect of so many people around the hockey world.

Members of the Kings shook Selanne’s hand and embraced him at the end of Friday’s game, then lined up at their blue line, tapping their sticks in salute him. It was a classy moment for a classy individual.

“It’s unbelievable, so much class and respect. That’s what this game is all about,” said Selanne during a post-game interview. “It has been a pleasure to be around for so many years.

“There’s going to be a huge hole to fill. I’ll probably go try out for a few rec league teams,” he added, as per the Anaheim Ducks Twitter account.