Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the Anaheim Ducks hosting the Los Angeles Kings at 10:30 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• LA and ANA meet for the first time since the Second Round of the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs, which LA won in 7 games en route to its 2nd Stanley Cup in 3 seasons.
• This was the first playoff meeting between LA and ANA over their 21 years in the NHL together.
• LA won the first 2 games in ANA, and then lost the next 3 before a Game 6 win at home and a 6-2 Game-7 victory at Honda Center.
• The Ducks have dropped 3 straight -the first three games of their 4-game homestand – all in OT/SO (3-2 OT to NYI, 3-2 SO to AZ, and 2-1 SO to VAN on Sunday). At 10-3-3, the Ducks are 2nd in the Western Conference, but their offense has sputtered, scoring just 12 regulation/OT goals in the last 8 games.
• Ducks leading goal-scorer RW Corey Perry (viral gland infection) has missed the last three games. He was retroactively placed on IR over the weekend and is eligible to return vs. LA, but on Tuesday his status was updated to reveal that he and teammate D Francois Beauchemin (same condition) must undergo more tests as their contagious infections persist. They have been prevented from practicing pending test results.
• Perry has 11 goals in 13 GP this season, and led the league in goals before his exit from the lineup.
• Prior to its most recent game, a 5-1 victory Saturday night vs. VAN, LA had just one win in its previous 6 games (1-3-2). The Kings improved to an NHL-best 7-1-1 at home with the victory.
• First-liners C Anze Kopitar and RW Marian Gaborik each recorded multi-point efforts (1 goal, 1 assist apiece).
• Kopitar (5 points in 12 GP) and Gaborik (3 points in 7 GP) have struggled to find chemistry, having incurred upper-body injuries earlier in the season.
• LA (1.93 GA/GM – T-4th) and ANA (1.88 – T-2nd) both rank in the top 5 in team defense this season.
• LA: D Robyn Regehr (undisclosed) missed LA’s game Saturday and is day-to-day
• ANA: RW Corey Perry (viral gland infection) was placed on IR on Sun. and has missed three straight games.
• ANA: G John Gibson (groin) was placed on IR last week and was expected to miss 6 weeks
• ANA: LW Kyle Palmieri (high ankle sprain) has yet to play this season after being injured in training camp. He is now nearing a return.
• LA: The pairing of D Jake Muzzin and D Drew Doughty combined for 0 points in LA’s 5 games vs. ANA last season.
• LA: Captain RW Dustin Brown has 21 goals and 21 assists in 57 career games vs. ANA; his most vs. any team for both categories.
• ANA: Captain C Ryan Getzlaf has 16 goals and 40 points in 50 career games vs. LA.
• ANA: G Frederik Andersen went 3-0-0 with a 1.62 GAA and .949 SV% in 3 starts last season vs. LA – his only career appearances vs. the Kings.
L.A. TEAM/PLAYER NOTES
• The Kings had their second roster complication of the season on Saturday, as it could only dress 5 defensemen (dressed 19 of a possible 20 players vs. PHI on Oct. 28).
• D Robyn Regehr was injured in Friday’s practice, and with D Slava Voynov’s indefinite suspension (suspicions of domestic violence), only 5 healthy defensemen were on the roster.
• With Regehr’s questionable short-term health, and with Voynov getting a non-roster exemption from the commissioner (frees up a roster spot, but still counts against the cap), LA signed D Jamie McBain on Tuesday to a 1-yr/$550K league minimum contract to increase its roster flexibility.
• McBain, 26, played 69 games last season for BUF (6G, 11A), and has 275 career GP (CAR, BUF).
• That 70’s Line‖ of RW Tyler Toffoli (17 points), C Jeff Carter (14 points), and LW Tanner Pearson (10 points) continues to be 1-2-3 in Kings scoring this season. All three posted +3 ratings in the win vs. VAN.
• Against VAN, Toffoli posted three points (1G, 2A) and picked up his fifth multi-point game this season. His 17 points leads LA and is T-10th in the NHL. His +14 rating is T-2nd in the NHL.
ANAHEIM TEAM/PLAYER NOTES
• After captain C Ryan Getzlaf began the season with points in 7 of his first 8 games (3 goals, 9 assists in that stretch), he has managed only 1 goal and 2 assists in 7 games since. His 15 points are tied for the team lead with Corey Perry.
• C Ryan Kesler, acquired in the offseason from VAN, is 3rd on the team with 11 points in 16 GP this season.
• D Sami Vatanen (10 points) and D Cam Fowler (9 points) rank 4th and 5th on the Ducks in scoring, respectively.
• Vatanen has become a power play specialist for the Ducks. All 10 of his points (4 goals, 6 assists) have come on the power play this season. His 4 power-play goals are T-1st in the NHL for d-men (Trevor Daley – DAL)
• Fowler is T-2nd on the team with 8 assists. He suffered a lower-body injury last Sat. and missed ANA’s game against VAN on Sun. He practiced Tuesday and will be a game-time decision vs. LA.
• G Frederik Andersen (7-1-2, 1.56 GAA, .953 SV%) is 0-0-2 in his last two starts despite giving up only 3 goals in those games. Andersen has never lost 3 straight starts in his career.