Steve Mason has a new crease partner in Philly.
On Wednesday, the Flyers signed former Caps, Sabres and Isles goalie Michal Neuvirth to a two-year, $3.25 million deal, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $1.625M.
It’s an interesting acquisition. Prior to signing, agent Patrick Stefan was insistent that Neuvrith was “ready to be the No. 1 goalie” wherever he signed but, obviously, that won’t be the case in Philly as Mason is coming off a pretty solid campaign and firmly entrenched as the starter.
But that said, Neuvirth gets a two-year pact out of the deal and the Flyers get an upgrade at the goalie position, especially after Ray Emery failed to impress as Mason’s backup last year.
In Buffalo, Neuvirth showed flashes of a guy that could be a No. 1, especially in the weeks leading up to his trade to New York. The Czech netminder posted a .938 save percentage in February and, overall, had a .918 in 27 games — pretty good, considering the Sabres were the NHL’s worst team.
The Philadelphia Flyers have signed gritty forward Ryan White to a one-year extension, the club announced on Tuesday.
According TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, the deal is a one-way contract worth $800,000.
White recorded career highs in goals (6), assists (6) and points (12) in 34 games with the Flyers last season. The 27-year-old also appeared in 11 American Hockey League games with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, scoring a goal and two assists.
He missed the first three months of the season recovering from an injury to his left pectoralis muscle suffered during an off-season workout.
The new contract gives White a $225,000 raise on his previous deal.
Per Generalfanager.com, the Flyers have 13 forwards, seven defensemen and a goaltender under contract for next season with a little over $6 million in cap space to work with heading into July 1.
Sam Gagner is a Philadelphia Flyer — for now, anyway.
On Monday, the Flyers elected not to buy out Gagner prior to the window closing at 12 p.m. ET, meaning he’s a part of the club for the foreseeable future (barring a trade, of course).
More, from CSN Philly:
Gagner told CSNPhilly.com that the last few days have been very “stressful” since being traded here from Arizona while not knowing what his future held.
“I’m very excited and motivated,” Gagner said, adding he did not get much sleep.
Gagner, acquired at the draft from Arizona in a strange deal that saw Philly send Nicklas Grossmann and Chris Pronger’s contract to the Coyotes, was unsure if he’d ever wear Flyer orange.
His parting gift from Arizona was GM Don Maloney saying he ‘can’t play center at the NHL level,” and his arrival gift in Philadelphia was learning GM Ron Hextall was considering a buyout.
It was a tough turn of events for the former first-round pick. Gagner, who is still only 25 years old, carries a relatively large cap hit of $4.8 million (although some was retained in an earlier deal with Tampa Bay) but has proven to be productive in the past, and scored 41 points in 81 games for the Coyotes last season — tops among all Arizona forwards.
Don’t be surprised if Marc Savard’s contract is traded, a la Chris Pronger to Arizona.
Bruins GM Don Sweeney confirmed today that he’s spoken to a few teams about a transaction that would clear Savard’s $4 million cap hit (through 2016-17) off Boston’s books, and put it on a team that could perhaps use it.
No longer able to play due to concussion issues, Savard has an actual salary of just $575,000 in the final two years of his contract.
Dealing Savard would help the B’s in that they wouldn’t be as prone to the bonus-related overage issues that have plagued them recently. On that note, Sweeney suggested the Bruins intend to keep spending to the cap, and that they’re dealing with a current overage of approximately $1 million.
The challenge for Sweeney in trading Savard is that, after Pronger was dealt to Arizona, there isn’t really a team that’s in serious jeopardy of not reaching the $52.8 million cap floor for next season.
Sweeney also took the opportunity to insist that goalie Tuukka Rask is “absolutely…not on the market,” despite the speculation.
Defenseman Patrick Wey worked his way through Boston College and made his NHL debut with the Washington Capitals on Oct. 7, 2013 at the age of 22. After suffering multiple concussions though, he’s decided to hang up his skates, per the Capitals’ official website’s Mike Vogel.
He sustained his first concussion in what proved to be his final NHL game on March 30, 2014 during a fight with Predators forward Rich Clune. The fact that an experienced combatant like Clune agreed to spar with the rookie didn’t sit well with the Capitals.
“They had a little tangle before the fight and they were talking to each other a bit and Weysie seemed to be a willing combatant,” Troy Brouwer said at the time. “But at the same point guys who are known to be fighters, they have to have enough respect to pick their spots to know when guys are able to fight fighters.”
For his part, Clune reached out to Wey after the incident.
Wey was concussed again in Oct. 24 after absorbing a high hit from Jay Rosehill. He wasn’t able to return from that injury.