Colin Campbell

Overtime format highlights competition committee meeting agenda


The topic of 3-on-3 overtime is one of a few topics on the agenda for Thursday’s competition committee meeting.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman believes we could see a 3-on-3 overtime format tested during the preseason, but not implemented for the 2015-16 regular season.

Also on the agenda for this week’s meeting is the coach’s challenge, the idea of the center in the defensive zone putting his stick down first during face-offs and the salary cap escalator.

Recommendations made at the competition committee meeting would have to be voted on by the NHL’s Board of Governors in late June prior to being implemented for the 2015-16 season.

The aforementioned topics were all initially discussed at the March general managers’ meetings in Boca Raton, Florida.

General managers Ken Holland, Don Maloney, David Poile along with Ed Snider will represent league (with Colin Campbell in a non-voting role) at the meeting in New York.

Mike Cammalleri, Cory Schneider, Kevin Shattenkirk and Daniel Winnik represent the NHLPA (with Mathieu Schneider in a non-voting role).

Report: World Cup to be announced during all star break

Team USA's Wheeler, Oshie, Orpik and McDonagh celebrate a goal by Mcdonagh against Slovenia during the second period of their men's preliminary round ice hockey game at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics

According to TSN’s Rick Westhead the NHL and NHLPA will announce the return of the world cup of hockey during the NHL all star break, which takes place Jan. 22-26.

Westhead added one of the tweaks to the tournament will include a best-of-three final.

In November Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reported potential changes to the format.

Rumored changes to the tournament include two all star teams in addition to the top six hockey nations (Canada, U.S., Sweden, Finland, Russia and Czech Republic).

One all star squad will be made up of the best players from Slovakia, Switzerland, Latvia, Germany and Slovenia, among others.

The make-up of the second all star team is yet to be determined.

Last month IIHF president Rene Fasel weighed in on the proposed changes.

“To be very honest, I like the idea. If we go with No. 7 and 8 with normal matching teams, we have that in the Olympics, we have that in the Canada Cup, we have that in the World Championships. Now having this selection. There’s a discussion about having European selection, it would be a great team with non-participating European teams building up a team,” said Fasel. “Then the second one is North American selection. That can be a very interesting for the hockey fans, great. That could be something. It is still an idea. There’s a rumor. We don’t know yet what they’re going to do. Personally, I like it very much.”

Fasel may like it, but players we here at PHT talked to were skeptical.

“It would be hard to play for some kind of different team, but I guess at the same time, a lot of the small countries, they’re producing really good players,” said Olli Jokinen, who’s represented Finland internationally on a number of occasions. “Players like that, a lot of time they don’t get a chance to play tournaments like that.”

Added U.S. Olympian, and Toronto Maple Leafs forward, James van Riemsdyk: “There’s more pride it in, for the players, when you’re representing your country. I think it’s fun when you have the different countries like you have every year in one of these tournaments there’s a big upset and that’s what makes it fun.

“I think it’s more fun when you have the countries (competing).”

Toronto is expected to be one the venues for the 2016 tournament.

Report: Changes coming for World Cup of Hockey

USA forward Zach Parise (9) celebrates his goal against the Czech Republic with teammates Phil Kessel (81) and USA defenseman Ryan Suter during the second period of men's quarterfinal hockey game in Shayba Arena at the 2014 Winter Olympics, Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014, in Sochi, Russia. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

According to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston, big changes are expected for the World Cup of Hockey.

Representatives from the NHL, NHLPA and International Ice Hockey Federation met in Toronto on Monday.

Changes to the tournament include two all star teams in addition to the top six hockey nations (Canada, U.S., Sweden, Finland, Russia and Czech Republic).

One all star squad will be made up of the best players from Slovakia, Switzerland, Latvia, Germany and Slovenia, among others.

The make-up of the second all star team is yet to be determined.

The 2016 tournament is expected to take place in Toronto.

Carcillo appeals 10-game suspension for abusing official

Daniel Carcillo

It turns out Daniel Carcillo isn’t going to take his 10-game suspension for striking an official lying down.

The NHLPA announced Carcillo has requested the NHL to review his suspension for abusing linesman Scott Driscoll during Game 3 on Thursday night.

In order for Carcillo to challenge the ban he has to go right to the top. That means it’ll be NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman hearing his case. According to Rule 40.5, the Rangers forward had 72-hours from the announcement of the suspension to request the review.

No date or time has been scheduled for the appeal, but expect it to come about sooner than not with Game 4 taking place on Sunday night.

Appeals in the past have not gone well for the players challenging the league ruling. Shawn Thornton’s 15-game suspension earlier this season was upheld by Bettman. Patrick Kaleta’s 10-game suspension was also upheld by the commissioner.

Phoenix Coyotes forward Paul Bissonnette was successful in appealing his 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to start a fight. Bissonnette’s suspension was reduced to three games because there was a lack of video evidence to uphold his full punishment.

Pronger balancing life as scout and NHLPA member

Chris Pronger

Chris Pronger’s new role as a scout for the Philadelphia Flyers may as well have him being called a double agent.

Thanks to post-concussion syndrome, he’s yet to find his way back on the ice but he’s finding it tricky to be part of both management and a member of the Players’ union as he tells Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com.

“I have yet to be told what my duties are,” said Pronger. “As still an active player and a dues-paying member of the [NHLPA] and all that, I know my role will be somewhat limited still in what I can and can’t do.”

Pronger goes on to say being a scout is “something anyone can do” and he doesn’t see an issue reporting on team’s systems and what players do on the ice. Besides, it’s not as if he’s ever had an issue being straight on any subject.

As for his concussion recovery, it’s slow and he’s still having issues with dizziness. The team will be putting him on long-term injured reserve once again this season so as to not take on his $4.9 million cap hit. He has four years left on his contract with the team.