Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads

29 Comments

The NHL won’t be putting advertising on its jerseys any time soon.

Gary Bettman maintained his stance on the issue during a press conference in Vancouver on Friday.

“I’m in no rush to put advertising on our sweaters,” he said. “I like the history and tradition and the way they look. I’ve repeatedly said we wouldn’t be the first and you’d probably have to bring me kicking and screaming.”

However, when it comes to advertising on jerseys at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey, Bettman says it is being considered.

TSN reported on Thursday that a corporate logo on a team jersey would cost $2 million per team.

“World Cup, international competition, I don’t know,” Bettman said. “We may take a look at it. It might be a valuable opportunity. But the World Cup jerseys don’t have the same legacy, as far as I’m concerned, that our regular jerseys have.

“It could happen in the World Cup. It might not. But it’s not anything we’re focused on doing for the league itself.”

Report: 10k in ticket sales the magical number for Vegas expansion team

15 Comments

Bill Foley’s bid to land an NHL franchise in Las Vegas is expected to take another step next month.

Foley, the chairman of Fidelity National Financial, a Florida-based company that provides title insurance and mortgage services, is teaming up with former Sacramento Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof in an effort to land an NHL franchise in Sin City.

According to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, the league told Foley a minimum 10,000 season ticket commitments is necessary.

“If we sell the 10,000 tickets, we’ll be amazed if we don’t get a franchise,” Foley said. “It would be a shock.”

Their goal is to have an NHL club playing in the $375 million arena being built by MGM Resorts and Anschutz Entertainment Group behind New York-New York and next to Monte Carlo by the 2016-17 season.

Foley’s ticket drive begins Feb. 10.

Report: World Cup to be announced during all star break

15 Comments

According to TSN’s Rick Westhead the NHL and NHLPA will announce the return of the world cup of hockey during the NHL all star break, which takes place Jan. 22-26.

Westhead added one of the tweaks to the tournament will include a best-of-three final.

In November Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reported potential changes to the format.

Rumored changes to the tournament include two all star teams in addition to the top six hockey nations (Canada, U.S., Sweden, Finland, Russia and Czech Republic).

One all star squad will be made up of the best players from Slovakia, Switzerland, Latvia, Germany and Slovenia, among others.

The make-up of the second all star team is yet to be determined.

Last month IIHF president Rene Fasel weighed in on the proposed changes.

“To be very honest, I like the idea. If we go with No. 7 and 8 with normal matching teams, we have that in the Olympics, we have that in the Canada Cup, we have that in the World Championships. Now having this selection. There’s a discussion about having European selection, it would be a great team with non-participating European teams building up a team,” said Fasel. “Then the second one is North American selection. That can be a very interesting for the hockey fans, great. That could be something. It is still an idea. There’s a rumor. We don’t know yet what they’re going to do. Personally, I like it very much.”

Fasel may like it, but players we here at PHT talked to were skeptical.

“It would be hard to play for some kind of different team, but I guess at the same time, a lot of the small countries, they’re producing really good players,” said Olli Jokinen, who’s represented Finland internationally on a number of occasions. “Players like that, a lot of time they don’t get a chance to play tournaments like that.”

Added U.S. Olympian, and Toronto Maple Leafs forward, James van Riemsdyk: “There’s more pride it in, for the players, when you’re representing your country. I think it’s fun when you have the different countries like you have every year in one of these tournaments there’s a big upset and that’s what makes it fun.

“I think it’s more fun when you have the countries (competing).”

Toronto is expected to be one the venues for the 2016 tournament.

NHL discussing expanded review for goalie interference

4 Comments

Along with 3-on-3 overtime one item, which will likely find its’ way on to the docket for the March NHL general managers meeting is expanded review for goaltender interference.

It was a hot topic at Tuesday’s meetings in Toronto.

However, all parties involved are looking for a place to draw the line.

“One of the most controversial plays in our game is goaltender interference,” said NHL Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations, Colin Campbell. “We had a lengthy conversation on goaltender interference. We’ve had examples this year. We’ve been doing it internally.”

“I think with the goaltender interference, if we’re going to expanded review, people expect us to get it right and we want to make sure the process is right.”

On example, which was used while discussing expanded review, occurred during an Oct. 25 game between the Dallas Stars and New Jersey Devils.

“When you’re making decisions on certain things, how far do you take it? Do you take the net being knocked off – is that our call or the official’s call? Hand pass in the crease from player-to-player, that would be our call,” Campbell said. “How much do you want to get right? “

Predators GM David Poile had an interesting suggestion during Tuesday’s discussions.

“I brought up the monitor (in the penalty box for referees), whether that would be a situation, which could be helpful,” said Poile. “It’s never going to be perfect with the game of hockey with the amount of physical contact that we have, but I think we’re working at it at a good pace.

“We’re all for trying to help the war room (in Toronto), to make the best decisions possible, and for them to help the referees make the best decisions possible.”

As Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen pointed out, the most important thing is “to get (the calls) right more than wrong and still not have too many reviews and slow the process too much.”

New rule: NHL video room can immediately stop play

5 Comments

Following Tuesday’s NHL general managers meetings in Toronto a couple rule changes were imposed.

In addition to the removal of the dry scrape, hockey operations now has the ability to immediately stop a game if a good goal is missed on the ice by both referees.

Under the old rules, the game would continue until a natural stoppage occurred and then a review would take place.

“We will stop play if there’s a… if a puck went into the net and we determined that goal was scored, we’ll stop play now,” said NHL Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations, Colin Campbell. “We’ll call and say, ‘this goal was in’, we’re not going to let play go for a minute and a half. We’re stopping it. We’ll buzz. They’ll blow the horn.

“We had a situation this year already and a situation last year. When that happens… too much can happen after that play, we don’t want to deal with. A penalty could take place. You don’t want a penalty to stand and the goal is scored. That time is wiped out, that didn’t really happen, but it happened.”

Hockey insider Bob McKenzie has more: