New Jersey Devils

Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA

15 Comments

A total of 23 players have filed for arbitration, according to a list unveiled by the National Hockey League Players’ Association.

Washington Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby along with Red Wings forward Gustav Nyquist and Rangers’ Derek Stepan are part of the list released on Sunday.

The deadline for club-elected arbitration is Monday at 5 p.m. ET. Salary Arbitration hearings will be held from July 20 to August 4.

Here is the complete list of players who have filed:

Arizona Coyotes
Mikkel Boedker
Phil Samuelsson
Brendan Shinnimin

Buffalo Sabres
Phil Varone

Calgary Flames
Lance Bouma
Paul Byron
Josh Jooris

Colorado Avalanche
Andrew Agozzino
Mathew Clark

Detroit Red Wings
Gustav Nyquist

Minnesota Wild
Erik Haula

Nashville Predators
Taylor Beck
Craig Smith
Colin Wilson

New Jersey Devils
Eric Gélinas
Adam Larsson

New York Rangers
Derek Stepan

Ottawa Senators
Alex Chiasson
Mike Hoffman

Philadelphia Flyers
Michael Del Zotto

St. Louis Blues
Magnus Paajarvi

Washington Capitals
Braden Holtby
Marcus Johansson

Blues ink Brodziak, Harrold to one-year contracts

9 Comments

After trading for Troy Brouwer earlier in the day, St. Louis Blues GM Doug Armstrong added some depth via free agency Thursday evening.

The Blues signed free agent forward Kyle Brodziak and defenseman Peter Harrold to one-year deals.

Brodziak joins the Blues after spending the past six seasons with the Minnesota Wild. The 31-year-old scored 72 goals and 97 assists during his time with the Wild. He leaves Minnesota seventh all-time in games played (446) and eighth in points (169).

He is expected to be the Blues’ fourth line center next season.

Harrold joins the Blues after parts of four seasons with the New Jersey Devils. The 32-year-old was informed by Devils’ GM Ray Shero last weekend that he would not be re-signed.

In 43 games with New Jersey during the 2014-15 season, Harrold recorded three goals and two assists while averaging 15:15 a night in ice time. His deal is a two-way contract.

Related: Oshie on trade from St. Louis: ‘Changes had to be made’

Report: Devils to part ways with Bernier, Fraser and Harrold

10 Comments

Scott Gomez isn’t the only member of the 2014-15 New Jersey Devils who will not return next season.

Devils GM Ray Shero has informed the agents of Steve Bernier, Mark Fraser and Peter Harrold that they should explore the market come July 1.

“We’re not going forward right now with any of them,” said Shero per Tom Gulitti of The Record. “I’ve notified their agents that they’re going to July 1. I talked to Scott Gomez’s agent and we’re not going to go be going in that direction. Bernier, we’re going to July 1 and just see what’s out there. Fraser the same thing and Harrold likely the same thing.”

Bernier had 16 goals and 32 points in 67 games with the Devils during the 2014-15 season.

Harrold scored three goals and two assists to go along with a minus-10 rating in 43 games while Fraser appeared in 34 games for the Devils last season registering four assists.

“I think it’s really good for us to look and for them to look to see what’s out there,” Shero said. “That’s more coming from my end than theirs. … You never close any doors, but to me with Steve Bernier, he had a really good year last year, maybe there’s better for him out there with another team.”

Related: UFA of the Day: Antoine Vermette

Devils aren’t interested, but Gomez says ‘I know I can play’

13 Comments

New Jersey Devils GM Ray Shero confirmed that Scott Gomez and Steve Bernier will not return in 2015-16, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.

It’s a reasonable enough choice, especially with Shero not having the same emotional connection to Gomez that Lou Lamoriello had. (Shero basically give the “it’s not him, it’s us” speech, noting the younger players waiting in line for chances.)

This brings up an interesting question, though: will any other GM give Gomez (in particular) a shot? He managed 34 points in 58 games, pretty good for a guy who was basically begging for a job heading into the 2014-15 season.

Gomez believes that output proves he can hang with pros even at 35, according to the Bergen Record.

“I found out from my agent (Friday) morning,” Gomez said today. “It is what it is. The thing is I know I can play. I’ve proven that. I know I can play at this level. I know I can contribute. But, it’s time to focus on somewhere else.”

With scoring as tough to come by as it is these days, that really isn’t terrible production.

Still, he is 35. Even though he essentially argued that he’s a young 35, that’s the exact mark where teams balk at contracts … especially deals that exceed one season.

In other words, it remains to be seen if Gomez will get another chance to prove himself.

Benning knows he ‘could get criticized’ for trading fan favorite Eddie Lack

9 Comments

FORT LAUDERDALE — With the petition to “Keep Eddie Lack!” approaching 1,500 signatures, Canucks GM Jim Benning knows he could be in for some abuse.

If Lack is traded, there will be a lot of angry fans in Vancouver, a market that’s already had to say good-bye to Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider in the last couple of years.

But Benning’s job is to put the best team on the ice, and he feels that keeping Ryan Miller and trading one of Lack or Jacob Markstrom is the best strategy.

“Sitting in my shoes, and when I talk to my management team, we have to make the decision that’s best for the organization going forward,” said Benning.

“I know if that’s the way we decide to go, I could get criticized. But that’s part of the job. There’s nothing I can do about that.”

Benning reiterated today that Vancouver won’t be trading Miller, because “we want to keep a veteran goalie.”

So it’s either Lack, the fan favorite, or Markstrom, the AHL all-star, who will be dealt.

“I think a big part of our team last year was that we had two good goalies,” said Benning. “Ryan is a proven number-one goalie in the league. So we want to keep Ryan, then we have to make a hard decision on the other two guys.

“Now, part of that decision is going to be based on who we think has the most upside, and part of it’s going to be how he fits in our salary cap situation. That’s just the decision that we have to make to keep moving forward.”

The Buffalo Sabres, armed with a pair of second-round draft picks, are reportedly one of the teams interested in Lack.

Related: Benning confident Canucks can ‘get a fairly high draft pick’ for Lack or Markstrom