Habs

Canadiens sign WHL defenseman Dietz

The Montreal Canadiens came to terms on a three-year contract with defenseman Darren Dietz in a deal that was announced Sunday.

A financial term on the deal was not disclosed.

Dietz is a fifth-round pick, 138th overall, of the Canadiens in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

His numbers with the Western Hockey League’s Saskatoon Blades have been nothing short of impressive.

The 19-year-old blue liner has 24 goals and 34 assists in 72 regular season games with Saskatoon this year.

His 58 points ranks him third among WHL blue liners in overall scoring. At 6’1″ and 205 pounds, Dietz also racked up 100 penalty minutes.

 

Scroll Down For:

    Montreal inks David Desharnais to four-year extension

    David Desharnais #51 of the Montreal Canadiens celebrates his second period goal during the NHL game against the Buffalo Sabres at the Bell Centre on February 2, 2013 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
(February 1, 2013 - Source: Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images North America)
    12 Comments

    David Desharnais, 26, has gone from being undrafted to a solid top-six forward. Now he’s getting rewarded for his hard work.

    The Montreal Canadiens announced that they have signed Desharnais to a four-year extension. The deal will pay Desharnais an average of $3.5 million per season, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie.

    That’s a sizable jump over the $950,000 annually his current deal is worth in 2012-13, but it’s hard to argue against the pay raise.

    After establishing himself in 2010-11, Desharnais broke out last season with 16 goals and 60 points in 81 games. He hasn’t been quite as productive in 2013, but has still scored eight goals and 16 points in 27 contests.

    Desharnais would have been a restricted free agent this summer and his deal gives the Montreal Canadiens six forwards signed through at least the 2015-16 campaign. The others are Tomas Plekanec, Rene Bourque, Brandon Prust, Travis Moen, and Max Pacioretty.

    Canadiens won’t comment on possible Geoffrion retirement

    blake-geoffrion
    1 Comment

    The Montreal Canadiens released a statement Wednesday, announcing that Blake Geoffrion has notified general manager Marc Bergevin about possibly retiring.

    Geoffrion suffered a depressed skull fracture in an American Hockey League game on Nov. 9, 2012 and had surgery the following day.

    The statement said that Geoffrion’s condition has shown no significant improvement since the surgery, and added that the Canadiens management, Geoffrion, his agent or family will not make any further comment until “further notice.”

    Earlier on Wednesday, reports surfaced that Geoffrion had retired from hockey.

     

    Video: Eller lifts Canadiens past Senators in the shootout

    Montreal Canadiens v Carolina Hurricanes
    5 Comments

    OK. It wasn’t Mason Raymond’s spin-o-rama.

    But it was a nice move, nonetheless, as Montreal Canadiens center Lars Eller scored the winning goal in the shootout Wednesday night against the Ottawa Senators. Call it a more conventional approach to the skills competition. The Habs pulled off a 4-3 victory over their Northeast Division rivals.

    Meanwhile, the Canadiens have won four games in a row and are back atop the Eastern Conference standings.

    Report: Montreal forward Geoffrion retires (Updated)

    Blake Geoffrion
    18 Comments

    He’s only 25 years old, but Blake Geoffrion’s professional hockey career is over. According to ESPN’s John Buccigross, the Montreal Canadiens forward has informed the club he’s retiring after suffering a serious head injury while playing for AHL Hamilton in November.

    “I love the game of hockey more than anything and this decision tears me up inside,” Geoffrion said, “but we are talking about my brain. Not a knee or a shoulder. I want to have a family, have kids, play with them and [have] a strong quality of life for another 60 or 70 years.

    “These last three months of recovery have been hell. For two months I would sit in the shower for an hour with no lights on. My head was throbbing. The plate in my head is still sensitive. I’ve tried to put a hockey helmet on four or five times and I can’t even put that on yet.”

    On Nov. 9, Geoffrion required immediate surgery for a depressed skull fracture that he sustained on a hit (video) from Jean-Philippe Cote of the Syracuse Crunch.

    Geoffrion was drafted 56th overall by Nashville in 2006. A star with the University of Wisconsin, he was the Hobey Baker winner in 2010.

    He was also a fourth-generation Hab, as the son of former Canadien Danny Geoffrion, the grandson of Hall of Famer Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion and the great-grandson of another Hall of Famer, Howie Morenz.

    Update from John Glennon of The Tennessean (1:41 p.m ET):

    Update (3:53 p.m. ET):

    In a release, the Canadiens confirmed that Geoffrion “notified general manager Marc Bergevin Wednesday that in light of his health condition, which has shown no significant improvement since he underwent surgery last November 10, he felt it was his responsibility to inform the Canadiens’ management that he was considering retiring from professional hockey.”