Detroit Red Wings v Edmonton Oilers

Wings hope Franzen (concussion) is cleared at camp


The Detroit Red Wings are hoping to have veteran Johan Franzen in the lineup this season.

Franzen has not played since suffering his latest concussion on Jan. 6. The 35-year-old appeared in 33 games last season scoring seven goals and 15 assists.

Wings’ GM Ken Holland has been in contact with the Swede over the summer and is hoping Franzen is cleared for contact next month.

“My expectations and hopes are he’s going to be cleared when he takes his physical at camp,” Holland told “Ultimately, it’s in the hands of Dr. Kutcher.”

“Johan told me he’s gotten better over the course of the summer. He’s pushed himself hard to test it. So far, so good.”

As Ansar Khan notes, even if Franzen is cleared at camp, how he handles contact drills and preseason games will go a long way to determining whether he’ll suit up for his 11th NHL season.

“Obviously, there’s a history of concussions. I can’t read the future,” said Holland. “I expect he’ll take his physical and pass it and resume his career. As he skates and trains every day, if he has no setbacks — I don’t know why he would — I’m expecting his body is going to tell him.”

Franzen trained hard towards the end of the season for a return in the playoffs, but admitted in May that he suffered a setback.

PHT Morning Skate: Franzen gifts Nyquist with Babcock blanket of horror


PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.

Hey, this is pretty cool: Jenny Scrivens looks like she’ll join the NWHL’s New York Riveters, so consider Jenny and Ben Scrivens hockey’s power goaltending couple:

More than a few people clamor for the Anaheim Ducks to go back to their Mighty jerseys, but if these rumored duds are true, expect some really bad “Orange you glad …” jokes. (Puck Daddy)

Phil Kessel in a Pittsburgh Penguins sweater is weird, but it becomes flat-out fun combined with shorts.

Does Tyler Seguin represent a “new breed” of NHL players? Maybe, but he really just wants to emulate other sports stars like Lebron James. (Sportsnet)

Talk about direct nightmare fuel: Johan Franzen presented Gustav Nyquist with this custom bedspread on Instagram:


The caption is even better, though.

Hey Nyquist, I know you been sad ever since your dad signed for Toronto so I had these custom bed sheets made for u so u always can be close to him #detroit #detroitredwings #babcock #nyquist #separationanxiety #nhl

Honestly, if you need to kill some time, just pour over the Instagram account of “The Mule.”

Amazingly, that’s not the most jarring Red Wings-related image featured in this Morning Skate, at least if you follow this link to what they might wear at their next outdoor game. Maybe they won’t actually look like this? /Holds out hope for humanity (Sports Logos)

Wings expect Franzen (concussion) to play next year

Detroit Red Wings v Edmonton Oilers

The Detroit Red Wings are operating under the assumption that Johan Franzen will be fully healthy by the start of training camp.

“I’m told he’s working out every day,” GM Ken Holland told MLive yesterday. “The expectation is that over the course of the summer, he’s going to be healthy.

“I expect to see him in training camp. I expect to see him playing hockey next year. Until I hear otherwise, that’s how I’m going to proceed.”

Franzen missed the entire second half of this past season with a concussion, finishing 2014-15 with seven goals and 15 assists in 33 games.

Earlier this month, the 35-year-old winger said he was feeling better, but remained unsure if he’d be able to keep playing.

Franzen has suffered multiple concussions throughout his career. He remains under contract to the Wings through 2019-20.

Wings’ Franzen has ‘no clue’ if he’ll return to playing

Johan Franzen

Johan Franzen says he’s finally starting to feel better, but isn’t sure if he’ll return to playing.

Franzen suffered a concussion following a hit from Oilers’ forward Rob Klinkhammer on Jan. 6 and did not play again.

“This time was a little bit scarier,” the 35-year-old told The Macomb Daily. “For two months you’re not able to pick up your kids or play with your kids for more than two minutes. It makes you think a little bit, but you know I’m slowly getting better, so that puts my mind to rest.

“I feel a lot better. I was in a really dark place maybe not the first month because you think it’s going to get better. But then when it doesn’t get better, you start wondering.”

Franzen, who has had multiple concussions during his 10 seasons in Detroit, was hoping to return to the Red Wings lineup if Detroit had advanced past Tampa Bay in the first round of the playoffs, but suffered a setback.

“Certainly the message the last month was he wanted to play,” said Red Wings’ GM Ken Holland. “He told us a couple weeks ago he felt great and was on the right path. If we advanced in the playoffs he was hoping he’d be available. Then he had a bit of a setback.

“People with concussions it’s hard to know, but the hope is over the summer he gets 100 percent healthy.”

As for his future in the game, both Franzen and Holland are unsure if the Wings’ forward will play again.

“I don’t think anybody knows,” Holland said. “When you’re dealing with people that have concussions and he’s (had) a bit of a history. That’s a decision that’ll be determined between Mule and Dr. (Jeffrey) Kutcher.”

Added Franzen: “I have no clue, but I’m just happy I’m feeling better. Hopefully, it’s going to progress a little bit every week and I will be fine.”

Franzen has five years left his deal with a cap hit of $3.95 million. If he does not play again, he will likely remain long-term injured reserve so that the Red Wings do not incur cap recapture penalties.

Holland: Franzen (concussion) not close to returning

Johan Franzen

With Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard healthy, Johan Franzen is the last Detroit player left on the injured reserve list. It sounds like the Red Wings won’t be back to full strength anytime soon though.

Franzen, who is dealing with a concussion sustained on Jan. 6, still isn’t ready to resume even off-ice workouts.

“I believe he’s getting a little bit better,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland told “I know he’s working with Dr. (Jeff) Kutcher (a specialist at Michigan who treats sports concussions). I get a report occasionally from (trainer) Piet Van Zant when Piet talks to Dr. Kutcher. But (Franzen) is not here. He’s not on the bike. I don’t know how far he is away.”

The 35-year-old has a history of concussions and it most recently cost him 22 contests in 2013-14. He has seven goals and 22 points in 33 contests in 2014-15.