Johan Franzen

Update: Red Wings put Franzen (concussion symptoms) on LTIR


DETROIT (AP) The Detroit Red Wings have put forward Johan Franzen on long-term injury reserve because of concussion-like symptoms.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland says Franzen is out indefinitely.

Franzen played on back-to-back days in October, returning to the ice for the first time in nine months. He missed 49 games last year because of a concussion and also missed much of the previous season with concussion-like symptoms.

When healthy enough to play, Franzen was a key scorer for the Red Wings. He has 187 goals and 370 points in 602 games since making his NHL debut during the 2005-06 season.

Also Thursday, Detroit sent center Andreas Athanasiou to play for the Grand Rapids Griffins in the American Hockey League.

Franzen placed on IR after concussion symptoms return

David Krejci, Johan Franzen

Johan Franzen has been placed on injured reserve, as the 35-year-old’s concussion issues have apparently returned.

From the Red Wings’ website:

Franzen, who suffered a concussion in Edmonton last Jan. 6, made it through training camp, preseason and the first two games of the regular season, has seen his symptoms return.

Franzen was supposed to play Tuesday against Tampa Bay and participated in the morning skate but did not feel well afterward and was a late scratch.

Signed through 2019-20, Franzen’s 11-year deal was intended to run until he retired, something he’s said he wants to do “on my own terms.”

Unfortunately, it’s looking more and more like those terms could be decided by matters beyond his control.

Hopefully we’re wrong about that and this is just a temporary setback, but we’ve seen how these things can go with other players.

There was more Wings injury news today, including Darren Helm taking “a little step back” after yesterday’s optimism and Luke Glendening possibly being unavailable tomorrow versus Carolina after blocking a shot Tuesday.

Out since January, Franzen (concussion) suits up for Wings

Detroit Red Wings v Edmonton Oilers

Detroit forward Johan Franzen will play for the first time in seven months tonight when the Wings host the Penguins in exhibition action at the Joe.

Franzen, plagued by post-concussion symptoms since taking this hit from Edmonton’s Rob Klinkhammer in January, was medically cleared to return prior to training camp and has been practicing regularly over the last few weeks.

But he knows he’s pretty susceptible to another concussion.

“If I would get a really bad hit again, and I would feel the same way again, that’s probably it,” he said earlier this week, per WXYZ Detroit.

Franzen is a Red Wing to watch this season.

His lengthy deal — an 11-year, $43.5 million contract with five years left on it — has always been a bone of contention with Detroit fans, partially due to the fact the 35-year-old has had troubles staying healthy.

Franzen has missed 77 games over the last two seasons, and scored a career-low seven goals in ’14-15.

Report: Franzen cleared to play for Detroit

Johan Franzen

“The Mule” might not be put out to pasture just yet.

Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press that Johan Franzen has been cleared to play after significant struggles with head injuries.

Getting the 35-year-old forward back would be quite the bonus for Detroit, at least if he looks anything like the once-dominant force he was before injuries really derailed his career.

That’s what Franzen is aiming for, even if his comments seemed a touch on the grim side.

“I really want to play some good hockey,” Franzen said. “I haven’t been able to get in a good season in a few years. I feel like I want to end it on my own terms.”

If there’s been one unexpected benefit for hockey fans as Franzen was sidelined with concussion issues that got downright scary, it’s the sense of humor he displayed on his Instagram account.

One of the highlights of his offerings makes you wonder: maybe he’ll be revitalized by Detroit’s big change behind the bench?

Request to Jeff Blashill: banning Franzen from social media would cost you some clout with fans. Just saying.

Wings’ Franzen: ‘I’m excited to try to get back and have a good year’

Johan Franzen

Red Wings’ forward Johan Franzen hasn’t played since suffering a concussion on Jan. 6, but remains hopeful he’ll be ready for Detroit’s season opener on Oct. 9 against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The 35-year-old took part in an informal skate at Joe Louis Arena on Wednesday with fellow teammates, but has yet to participate in any kind of contact drills.

“It feels good so far; it’s probably too early to tell until I start playing games,” Franzen told “I’m going at it hard – a little bit too much, actually – just to see that I can take it.”

Franzen suffered his latest concussion on a hit from Edmonton’s Rob Klinkhammer. The concussion limited Franzen to just 33 games last season where he scored seven goals and 15 assists.

Despite the concussion troubles, the Swede has not considered retirement.

“I haven’t been there yet, really, in my thoughts,” Franzen said. “It’s been so many tough years here the last 2-3 years with injuries; I just want to have a good year. I want to decide on my own when I quit. I’m excited to try to get back and have a good year.

“Being where I was mid-season, not being able to get out of bed, it really makes you appreciate being able to do what we do.”

The Red Wings believe Franzen will be fully cleared when he takes his physical later this month at training camp.

According to Ansar Khan, Franzen suffered his latest setback last week, but continues his rigorous workouts.

“It’s four hours of working out, going on the ice, going biking, going full out, it kind of triggers (symptoms),” Franzen said. “I don’t know if it’s smart or not, but I do that. I think if I can do that, I can get through a game, or 82 games, hopefully.

“The way I work out then is going to be different than it is now. It’s going to be shorter, more explosive. A game is going to be different and I think it’s going to be easier. You’re going to get bumped a lot and there’s the mental stuff, too, but physically it’s going to be easier than what I’ve been doing the last couple of weeks.”

Franzen has five years remaining on his current 11-year, $43.5 million deal.