Even though they currently find themselves at the bottom of the NHL standings, the Arizona Coyotes still have a bright future with an impressive collection of young talent.
One of the players most responsible for that optimism is Dylan Strome, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2015 draft.
It appears they are going to have to wait a little longer to see if he can completely reaches his potential in the NHL.
The Coyotes announced on Sunday that they have sent Strome back to Erie of the Ontario Hockey League. Strome has appeared in seven games for the Coyotes this season and recorded one assist.
“Dylan has made exceptional progress and continues to make strides to being an elite center in this league,” said general manager John Chayka in a statement released by the team. “At this point in time we felt it was best for his development to get him back playing in junior, but his future in the NHL is very bright.”
He spent the past three years in Erie before making his NHL debut and was one of the most dominant players in junior hockey over the past two. Since the start of the 2014-15 season Strome had 82 goals and 158 assists in only 124 games for Erie.
The dilemma for the Coyotes is deciding what is going to be best for both Strome and the organization.
On one hand, Strome clearly has nothing left to prove at the junior level and there really isn’t much for him to learn by going back to a league that he is probably going to dominate once again.
But if he is not quite ready to be an impact player in the NHL — and that seems to be the case based on what we have seen so far — it also isn’t going to do him much good to be used as sparingly as he has been this season in a league he might be quite ready for.
Obviously, the Coyotes decided the former option is in his best interest.
The ideal spot for Strome would be the American Hockey League, but because of the CHL transfer agreement he is not yet eligible to play at that level. But that is another discussion for another day.
The Ottawa Senators have sent Thomas Chabot back to the QMJHL’s Saint John Sea Dogs.
The move is hardly surprising considering he only suited up in one of nine games this season. In that one game, he finished with a minus-2 rating and one shot on goal in just 7:09 of ice time.
The 19-year-old was the 18th overall pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.
His junior numbers have improved every year since he began playing in the Quebec League three seasons ago.
Last year, he had 11 goals, 45 points, a plus-27 rating and 79 penalty minutes in 47 games.
Chabot showed that he has the ability to be a puck-moving defenseman, but he’s still raw and needs to work on his overall game.
This will be his final year in the junior ranks. He’ll likely start next season in the NHL or AHL.
He’s the second defenseman to be sent back to junior this week, as the Canadiens assigned first-round pick Mikhail Sergachev to OHL Windsor on Monday.
On Monday, the Habs announced that Mikhail Sergachev — the 18-year-old blueliner taken ninth overall at the draft — has been re-assigned to OHL Windsor after spending all of October in Montreal, appearing in three games.
It’s a move that, apparently, was always in the cards.
“The plan was to keep him a month and evaluate after that,” Habs GM Marc Bergevin said, per the club’s Twitter account. “He needs to go play. It’s going to be great for him.”
Sergachev impressed team brass during training camp and the exhibition campaign, earning an opening-night roster spot over Mark Barberio.
But, as Bergevin noted today, the club is playing well and has solid depth across the lineup, making it tough for the rookie to secure minutes.
The Habs also saw some potentially troublesome developments — specifically, Sergachev tailoring his style of play to survive and stick with the NHL club.
Sergachev has loads of skill and is a gifted offensive d-man, so it should be fun to see him follow up on his ’15-16 campaign in Windsor, when he scored 17 goals and 57 points in 67 games.
The Spitfires should be a contender for the Memorial Cup, which is another reason Montreal was keen to send Sergachev down. Windsor is currently being led by a fellow first-rounder from this year’s draft — Logan Brown, taken 11th overall by Ottawa.
Blake Speers, one of two 19-year-olds to make the Devils out of training camp earlier this month, has been returned to his junior team in OHL Sault Ste. Marie, the club announced on Monday.
Speers was the club’s third round pick, 67th overall, at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft and wasn’t expected to make his impact at the NHL level for a while. But a solid training camp and exhibition campaign impressed both Devils head coach John Hynes and GM Ray Shero, who proceeded to give Speers a three-game look before shipping him back to junior.
“When you see him, he’s an impact player every day,” Hynes said, per the Sault Star. “His hockey smarts and instincts are excellent.
“He has speed, he has compete and he has strong puck skills.”
Speers’s three games came against the Panthers, Lightning and Wild, which included a season-high 12:50 TOI against the Bolts. By returning him to Sault Ste. Marie now rather than beyond his ninth game of the year, the Devils avoid “burning” the first year of Speers’ entry-level contract.
With Speers gone, the Devils have recalled Steve Santini from AHL Albany. Santini could make his season debut Tuesday night when Coyotes visit Prudential.
Pierre-Luc Dubois‘ stint as a NHLer was brief.
On Wednesday, the Jackets did as expected and returned Dubois — the No. 3 overall pick at this year’s draft — to his junior club in QMJHL Cape Breton.
Yesterday, some eyebrows were raised when Dubois was listed on Columbus’ opening-night roster, only for various outlets to report the move was purely salary cap related. Alex Wennberg, who was sent down to AHL Lake Erie on Tuesday, has since been recalled and will be available for selection when the Jackets take on the Boston in their season-opener tomorrow.
Dubois, 18, was always a longshot to make the Blue Jackets this year, even though he liked his chances. Some of that could’ve been posturing, as Kekalainen and the Jackets surprised many by taking Dubois at the draft ahead of Jesse Puljujarvi, the talented Finnish winger who will make his NHL debut tonight for Edmonton.
At 6-foot-2 and 201 pounds, Dubois has NHL size and should be in line for a monster season with the Screaming Eagles. He had 42 goals and 99 points in just 62 games last year.