P.K. Subban,
AP

PHT Morning Skate: P.K. Subban as Don Cherry

2 Comments

PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.

GM Ken Holland didn’t mince words about wanting to kick Mike Babcock’s, er, butt. (Toronto Sun)

You should check out the Pittsburgh Penguins’ initial power-play alignment … unless you kill penalties in the NHL. Then you might want to think happier thoughts. (Penguins’ site)

Last season’s top “feel-good” stories will hamburgle your attention. (The Hockey News)

Wayne Gretzky playing road hockey? Wayne Gretzky playing road hockey. (Sportsnet)

A look back at Todd Ewen’s life and hockey career. (Greatest Hockey Legends)

It’s not the best thing P.K. Subban has done lately, but you may still enjoy his Don Cherry impression:

O’Reilly apologizes, but ‘not going to say exactly what happened’ in DUI incident

Nashville Predators v Colorado Avalanche
8 Comments

Interesting bit here from the Buffalo News on Sabres center Ryan O'Reilly, who on Tuesday made his first remarks after being charged with impaired driving in July.

“After this week it’ll be sorted out and I can comment more on it, but it’s an unfortunate situation,” O’Reilly explained. “I think with the way the Sabres have invested in me and seen light in me, to be involved in a situation like that it’s definitely unfortunate. I would never want to do that, so I definitely apologize to all the fans and just the kids that see the situation.

“I’m not going to say exactly what has happened. That’s going to come out in court.”

Back on July 13, news broke that O’Reilly had been charged by Ontario Provincial Police with impaired driving and leaving the scene following an alleged incident at a Tim Horton’s restaurant.

More:

O’Reilly, 24, from Bluewater, Ont., had been charged with driving a motor vehicle while ability impaired (alcohol) and care or control over 80 mgs.

He was also charged under the Highway Traffic Act with failing to remain at the scene.

According to Middlesex County OPP, a green Chevrolet pickup struck struck a commercial building on Richmond St. last Thursday morning (July 9) just after 4:00am. An employee of the Lucan Tim Hortons confirmed to AM980 that there had been a motor vehicle incident, but was unaware of the driver’s identity.

After the collision, police say a suspect drove the vehicle southbound on Saintsbury Line, before abandoning it and traveling by foot with another, unnamed, male occupant.

The OPP report says the individuals were later found, with police determining the driver had been drinking alcohol.

O’Reilly’s first court appearance — which he wasn’t required to attend — was on Aug. 20, at which time the decision was made to continue the case until Sept. 10, which is two days from now.

In discussing the incident, the former Lady Byng winner said he felt “horrible” about the situation and re-iterated his apology to Sabres fans — but he also left some ambiguity as to what actually happened on the night in question, and how it will be resolved.

“I’m not saying the outcome is set yet,” he said. “But just to be in a situation like that and have it come out the way it’s been spun, it is unfortunate.”

Poll: Will Seabrook re-sign?

Brent Seabrook
20 Comments

In Chicago, conversation about the cost of keeping the team together never really ends.

Having just come off a summer in which Brandon Saad, Brad Richards, Johnny Oduya and Patrick Sharp all exited due to financial constraints, the ‘Hawks can now begin looking ahead to next July, when another prized player could go unrestricted:

Brent Seabrook.

Seabrook, 30, is heading into the last of a five-year, $29 million deal with a $5.8M cap hit. His resume is loaded — three Stanley Cups, Olympic gold, a ’15 All-Star Game appearance — and he’s coming off a postseason in which he led all defensemen in goals (seven), the same number that Tampa Bay captain Steve Stamkos potted.

So needless to say, he’d be coveted on the open market.

There are two sides to this discussion. The first is why Seabrook would want to stay in Chicago, and it’s a fairly easy sell — it’s the only team he’s ever known, having been drafted by the ‘Hawks in the first round in ’03. He’s since appeared in over 800 games in a ‘Hawks sweater during his 10-year career, and developed a dynamic pairing with fellow blueliner (and one of his best friends) Duncan Keith.

Seabrook also has, as mentioned above, achieved a boatload of success with the ‘Hawks.

But there are reasons why he’d leave.

Well, one big reason — the money.

Per war-on-ice.com, the ‘Hawks already have close to $60 million committed to 16 players after this season. While there aren’t many other noteworthy contracts on the horizon — Andrew Shaw will require a new deal in ’16-17, Teuvo Teravainen and Marko Dano the year after — there is a question of how much Chicago can pay Seabrook.

Do consider that, a few weeks ago, Calgary gave Mark Giordano — who’s a year older than Seabrook — a six year, $40.5 million extension that carries a $6.75M cap hit. Earlier this summer, TSN speculated that Seabrook “is due to earn at least Dion Phaneuf-type money, in the neighborhood of seven years and $49 million.”

Those are both pretty steep AAVs but, given the dearth of quality UFA defensemen that usually hit the market, they could be in Seabrook’s wheelhouse. Remember that Mike Green got $6M per from Detroit this summer, while Andrej Sekera got $33 million over five years from the Oilers.

If Seabrook doesn’t sign an extension prior to the season starting, you can expect this conversation to pick up steam as the year progresses.

But why wait for that? Let’s vote and discuss now.

O’Reilly’s impaired driving hearing pushed back to September

Colorado Avalanche v Minnesota Wild - Game Three
21 Comments

From the Associated Press:

Sabres forward Ryan O’Reilly’s court case in connection with an impaired driving charge has been continued to Sept. 10.

The decision was made Thursday morning during O’Reilly’s first hearing in London, Ontario, court. The 24-year-old player was not required to attend, and was represented by his lawyer, David Humphrey.

The court case stems from an incident in mid-July, in which O’Reilly reportedly drove his truck into a Tim Horton’s restaurant.

Back on July 13, the Ontario Provincial police announced O’Reilly had been charged with driving a motor vehicle while impaired and, under the Highway Traffic act, failing to remain at the scene.

More, from Ontario’s AM 980 radio:

According to Middlesex County OPP, a green Chevrolet pickup truck struck a commercial building on Richmond St. last Thursday morning (July 9) just after 4:00am. An employee of the Lucan Tim Hortons confirmed to AM980 that there had been a motor vehicle incident, but was unaware of the driver’s identity.

After the collision, police say a suspect drove the vehicle southbound on Saintsbury Line, before abandoning it and traveling by foot with another, unnamed, male occupant.

Two weeks prior to the incident, O’Reilly signed a seven-year, $52.5 million deal with the Sabres, after he was acquired from Colorado at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

Police confirm Patrick Kane investigation

Patrick Kane
149 Comments

On Friday, Hamburg police chief Greg Wickett offered a brief statement on his department’s involvement in yesterday’s reported Patrick Kane rape investigation.

“The town of Hamburg is investigating an incident that allegedly occurred at the residence of NHL player Patrick Kane last weekend,” Wickett said, adding that his department was still gathering information, waiting on the results of forensic testing, and would have no further comment.

Wickett then declined to answer any questions related to Kane or the investigation, telling reporters “you’re wasting your time.”

Kane, who lives in Hamburg during the offseason, reportedly had his residence searched by police over the weekend, per the Chicago Tribune:

Neighbors told the Tribune that three unmarked police cars descended upon Kane’s Hamburg home Sunday, and several plainclothes officers entered his house using flashlights.

At least one officer wore gloves and could be seen taking pictures in the front, said one witness, who asked not to be named.

Here’s a more comprehensive timeline of events thus far, per the Buffalo News:

• A young local woman has alleged that Kane, 26, took her to his Hamburg waterfront home and raped her after meeting her in a downtown Buffalo nightclub Saturday night or early Sunday.

• The alleged victim went to a local hospital, where she was examined for physical signs that she had been raped.

• The prosecutor assigned to the case is Roseanne Johnson, who specializes in sexual assault cases and heads the Special Victims Unit in the Erie County District Attorney’s Office.

More to follow…