From King 5 News in Seattle:
Chris Hansen and his investment team on Tuesday offered to forgo public financing to build a new sports arena in Seattle’s SoDo neighborhood.
The group also said it would cover the current funding gap to build an overpass over Lander Street, a project long desired by freight and industrial interests concerned about congestion in around the Port of Seattle.
The proposal amounts to a stunning and swift turn in the nearly five-year debate over building a new arena and, ultimately, bringing a professional basketball and hockey team to the city.
Be sure to click on the story for all the details. These stories are rarely simple, and there’s still no guarantee that Hansen and his group will get permission to build their new arena.
But suffice to say, if a new arena does get built, Seattle will have a much better chance of landing an NHL franchise. Hansen has said he’s only interested in owning an NBA franchise, but back in 2014, billionaire Victor Coleman was reportedly working with Hansen to land an NHL tenant. It’s not clear if Coleman is still working with Hansen.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has said that Seattle is not a consideration for relocation or expansion until there’s a suitable arena.
— Bettman rejects notion that the NHL is waiting for Seattle
— Pacific Northwest will ‘get serious consideration’ for expansion or relocation
The Dallas Stars still have some decisions to make with 27 players on their training camp roster, but they got some work done on Sunday.
To the AHL: Julius Honka and Gemel Smith
Released from PTO: Justin Fontaine (pictured)
One cannot help but wonder if someone might take another look at Fontaine. He’s only 28 and has 197 NHL games under his belt, including 60 with the Minnesota Wild in 2015-16.
Honka stands out as the 14th pick of the 2014 NHL Draft. The Stars are transitioning to a younger defensive group, and one would assume that the Finn will be a key contributor sooner or later.
Honka has already showed promise at the AHL level, especially in 2015-16, when he generated 44 points in 73 games for the Texas Stars.
The team’s updated roster can be found here.
Earlier this week, we passed along word that Stars forward Mattias Janmark was spotted on crutches at the team’s practice facility.
Now we know why.
Janmark suffered a knee injury that requires surgery, GM Jim Nill said on Thursday. The procedure is expected to sideline the Swedish forward for 5-6 months, putting his return in the neighborhood of February-March of next year.
It’s a big blow for the Stars.
After surprising onlookers by making the team out of camp last year — a “great story,” according to GM Jim Nill — Janmark, 23, went on to have a pretty successful rookie campaign, scoring 15 goals and 29 points in 73 games.
He also fared well in the playoffs, with five points in 12 contests.
Today’s news compounds what’s been a lousy September in Dallas. The club previously lost Tyler Seguin (heel), Cody Eakin (knee) and Ales Hemsky (groin) to injuries, and saw Russian forward Valeri Nichushkin sign in the KHL.
Looking at the schedule, Janmark projects to miss anywhere between 60-70 games this season, assuming the 5-6 month timeline is accurate. That’s a big chunk of man power to replace.
The wait is officially over.
The Washington Capitals announced Wednesday afternoon that they had re-signed restricted free agent defenseman Dmitry Orlov to a one-year deal worth $2.57 million, which backs up an earlier report from the Washington Post stating he would sign within the neighborhood of $2.6 million.
Orlov, 25, made $2.25 million last season, the final year of his previous two-year contract. He scored eight goals and 29 points in 82 regular season games in 2015-16.
Even before this contract was signed, the Capitals had bigger plans for Orlov heading into this season.
“I envision him playing with a [Matt] Niskanen or a [John] Carlson, probably more prime minutes as we try even out our defense a little bit in terms of [workload],” said Capitals head coach Barry Trotz in August.
“It’s a great opportunity for him. He’s at the right age where he can really contribute. We’ll look for his contributions on the power play, the penalty kill, playing in that top-4 on a pretty regular basis. I just think it’s right for him.”
The Washington Capitals are on the verge of signing defenseman Dmitry Orlov to a one-year contract worth “in the neighborhood of $2.6 million,” according to the Washington Post.
Orlov, 25, is a restricted free agent. He made $2.25 million last season, when he scored a career high-29 points in 82 games.
“I would like to stay [in Washington],” he said recently. “But I don’t know how it’s going to happen. We’ll see.”
From the Post’s report:
The reason the contract talks have taken this long likely has more to do with Orlov wanting a more substantial role with the team than disagreements over salary or term. Orlov averaged about 16 minutes per game last season, mostly playing on the third defensive pairing. He didn’t kill penalties, and his power play time was limited.
Throughout the summer, the Capitals’ coaching staff and management has repeatedly spoken of giving more responsibility to Orlov, potentially pairing him with Matt Niskanen or John Carlson in a top-four role. That would involve playing more minutes with more challenging defensive assignments. Though he wouldn’t be getting much of a raise on a one-year deal worth about $2.6 million, the sales pitch could be that he’d have an opportunity for more production as a top defenseman and then sign a more profitable deal in a year, when Washington is expected to have more salary cap space because Justin Williams, Daniel Winnik, T.J. Oshie and Karl Alzner will be hitting unrestricted free agency.
If Orlov does indeed get a top-four role on the left side, it could mean less ice time for 35-year-old Brooks Orpik, who still has three years left on his contract, with a cap hit of $5.5 million. And if it’s not Orpik that plays less, it will have to be Alzner.
Orlov is currently playing for Russia at the World Cup.