Hey, if you can’t beat them (one time in a playoff series), join them.
Perhaps that’s what Jarome Iginla’s was thinking on Friday as he signed a one-year, $6 million contract with the Boston Bruins, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Iginla’s deal hinges on performance-based incentives, which ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun breaks down:
Base salary: $1.8 million
Games played bonus: $3.7 million
Goal-scoring/team playoff performance: $500K
On a frenzied day full of wild twists, this move ranks up among those most unexpected – and amusing – turn of events.
As you may remember, many believed that the 36-year-old was traded to Boston around trade deadline time. Instead, Iginla asked for a trade to the Pittsburgh Penguins, who were summarily swept by the Bruins in the 2013 Eastern Conference finals.
Of course, that Bruins team already looks dramatically different from the one that held the aging winger pointless in four high-profile postseason contests.
Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley were traded out of town. Nathan Horton signed a big deal with the Columbus Blue Jackets while Andrew Ference left for the Edmonton Oilers. All of that sets the table for Iginla to be a welcome addition.
So … Bruins fans might want to take back all of those mean things they screamed when he was wearing a Penguins sweater.
The Carolina Hurricanes have inked an intriguing No. 2 goalie behind Cam Ward — former Boston netminder Anton Khudobin.
“Anton proved to be a very capable NHL backup for the Bruins last year,” Carolina GM Jim Rutherford said in a statement. “This solidifies an elite goaltending tandem for the Hurricanes.”
The deal will pay the Russian netminder $800,000 next season, down slightly from the $875,000 he made in 2013.
Khudobin, 27, posetd a 2.32 goals-against average and .920 save percentage in 14 games last season, proving to be one of the NHL’s best backup netminders (statistically speaking), giving Boston a stellar one-two punch in goal with Tuukka Rask.
The deal is important given how last year went for the ‘Canes.
When Ward was lost for the season with a knee injury, Carolina opted not to acquire a secondary option, instead relying on Dan Ellis and Justin Peters to carry the load.
Both struggled and were unable to provide a consistent level of play — as such, the ‘Canes went from atop the Southeast Division to finish 13th in the Eastern Conference.
Shortly after Boston lost to the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Final, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli made it clear that the team wouldn’t re-sign 41-year-old forward Jaromir Jagr.
Then Nathan Horton announced his intentions to sign elsewhere and the Bruins were forced to adjust their plans.
“You know actually we have thought of circling back,” Chiarelli said, regarding the team’s position on Jagr, according to NESN. “We told him we were moving on so he may have moved on, also. It’s something that we may revisit. He’s on a list … of a bunch of guys.
“I’d like to go into this, when I talk about reconstructing the right side, maybe we can get some youth in there too in addition to an older guy. When I say older it’s relatively speaking. It’s just older than a youthful player. It could be old now. 28 is the old 32. It’s all relative.”
Jagr had two goals and nine points in 11 regular season games after the Bruins acquired him from the Dallas Stars. He also registered 10 assists in the playoffs, but wasn’t able to find the back of the net during the Bruins 22-game run. Of the Bruins skaters that participated in all 22 games, the only other one that failed to score even once was Shawn Thornton.
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Daniel Alfredsson is expected to re-sign with the Ottawa Senators, but other teams are still trying to convince him to play elsewhere. The San Jose Sharks and Boston Bruins are reportedly among the teams pursuing him. (Ottawa Sun)
While Pavel Datsyuk won’t be returning to the KHL anytime soon, he is still interested in finishing his playing career there. (IIHF)
There’s a Meat Stanley Cup. (Puck Daddy)
19-year-old defenseman Oscar Klefbom is looking to leave the Swedish Elite League and compete for a spot with the Edmonton Oilers next season. (Edmonton Sun)
Pairing up potential unrestricted free agents with the teams that Allan Muir feels is their ideal landing spots. (Sports Illustrated)
Five players received qualifying offers from the Carolina Hurricanes. (NHL.com)
The reigning Eastern Conference champs could have a decidedly different look up front next season.
Shortly after news broke that Boston was shopping Tyler Seguin, reports surfaced that UFA forward Nathan Horton informed the Bruins he wouldn’t be re-signing.
That no offers were exchanged gives a good idea of how far apart the two sides were.
Yesterday, reports surfaced that Horton was looking for a long-term deal that would pay $6 million annually; the Bruins, meanwhile, are trying to get their financials in order to afford Tuukka Rask’s new deal (which could cost as much as $7 million per) and prepare for Patrice Bergeron’s contract extension, rumored to be an eight-year deal with a cap hit around $6.5 million.
To that end, the B’s are exploring the option of trading Seguin, who has his six-year, $34.5 million deal ($5.75 million annually) kick in next season.