Retired greats from two of the most storied franchises in NHL history will renew their rivalry on Dec. 31 in an outdoor game at Gillette Stadium, the league announced today.
At this time it’s not known who will be included in the contest, but Hall of Famer Ray Bourque is looking forward to the event.
Boston and Montreal have faced off in more than 900 games, including their meetings over 34 postseason series. They’ve also battled against each other in more Game 7s (nine) than any other combination of teams in the NHL, MLB, and NBA.
Boston will become the first franchise to host the Winter Classic twice after playing against the Philadelphia Flyers at Fenway Park in 2010. It is also the first time the Montreal Canadiens will be featured in a Winter Classic game and the third time the event will pit two Original Six squads against each other.
Gillette Stadium is home to the New England Patriots and seats 68,756.
“It is a true honor and privilege to host the 2016 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic®,” New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said, during what has proved to be a busy day for him. “Since Gillette Stadium opened in 2002, we have been fortunate to host many special and memorable events. We are thrilled that the NHL and the Bruins wanted to bring a Bruins-Canadiens NHL Winter Classic to our stadium.”
The Winter Classic is set for Jan. 1 at 1:00 p.m. ET and will air on NBC.
The Boston Bruins may have gone off the radar with their 15th overall pick in last month’s NHL Draft, selecting Zach Senyshyn out of the Ontario Hockey League. But the 18-year-old winger seems out to prove critics wrong.
Senyshyn was well down the order in Central Scouting’s Final Rankings, sitting 38th amongst North American skaters heading into the draft. But the Bruins, on what was an eventful day for that franchise to say the least, used the 15th overall pick and third straight selection in the opening round, to take the rookie winger from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.
This past season, Senyshyn’s first full season in the OHL, he scored 26 goals and 45 points in 66 games. According to multiple reports, he also had a strong showing at Boston’s prospects camp.
“It was nice to be able to show what I could do, and go out there and score a couple of goals,” Senyshyn told CSNNE.com.
“The Bruins showed a lot of belief in my abilities, and I have a lot of belief in my own abilities. It was nice to see their belief in me, and I wanted to show them that they did right by taking me in that spot. And not just by scoring a couple of goals in a game, but also by being really attentive in all of the on-ice sessions during the week.”
It’s been an eventful few months for the Boston Bruins, and that may be an understatement.
After missing the playoffs this past spring, the firing of Peter Chiarelli, the hiring of Don Sweeney as the new general manager and two major trades at the NHL Draft that saw Dougie Hamilton sent to Calgary and Milan Lucic to L.A., Bruins’ president Cam Neely apparently sees his team as one that could potentially make the post-season in 2016.
“There’s lots of parity in the East,” Neely told the Boston Herald. “It’s going to be tight, it’s going to be a challenge. I think we can be a playoff team. I don’t want to sound like that’s our only goal, just to be a playoff team. That’s not a very high goal. We’re past that.
“But I want to see us improve certainly from where we were last year. I think if guys can continue to improve — (David) Pastrnak, (Brett) Connolly, (Ryan) Spooner — I don’t see why we can’t have a very good year this year.”
Two years after appearing in the Stanley Cup Final — which was two years after Boston won the championship in 2011 — the Bruins missed out on the 2015 playoffs by two points while finishing 23rd in the league in scoring.
Their failure to qualify for the playoffs ushered in change, particularly in the front office. However, the club’s moves at the draft and in the days after brought instant and heavy criticism.
Based on Sweeney’s comments Friday, the Bruins could still go after available free agents prior to the start of the season.
“There are still players out there that may fit,” said Sweeney, as per NESN.com
. “You have conversations with agents about possibilities. I think we’re comfortable with where we are in creating internal competition, but I’m not going to stop sort of asking in areas that we can continue to look at.”
A few weeks ago, the Boston Bruins became the first team in 47 years to make three straight picks in the first round of a draft. They began signing those picks on Wednesday, handing Jakub Zboril an entry-level contract.
Zboril, 18, was also the first of those three picks, as he went 13th while the Bruins took Jake DeBrusk with pick 14 and Zachary Senyshyn with selection 15.
The Czech-born blueliner seems all-around solid according to what Central Scouting’s Dan Marr told NHL.com a month ago.
“We think he’s a solid two-way player,” Marr said. “His game with the puck, without the puck, I don’t know there’s too many holes in his game. … He’s a solid two-way guy that these are the type of guys you see playing in the [Stanley Cup] Playoffs.”
Considering that description, it sounds like Zboril is a player who could eventually fit in quite well with the Bruins.
They had to trade Dougie Hamilton and Milan Lucic to get it, but the Boston Bruins finally have some breathing room under the salary cap.
The question now is if they can take advantage.
“If we have any opportunities come up, we now have the flexibility to act on them,” club president Cam Neely told CSN New England. “If something happens now all the way through training camp where we feel we can improve our club, we have a better chance of adding without saying, ‘Okay, now who do we have to subtract?'”
With the loss of Hamilton, which came less than a year after the loss of Johnny Boychuk, the Bruins’ defense is a major question mark heading into 2015-16.
While GM Don Sweeney has called it “a great opportunity” for some of the “kids” — and Neely doesn’t disagree — Neely insists that “by no means are we closing the books and saying this is what we’ve got.”
Unrestricted free agents on defense include Christian Ehrhoff and Cody Franson. The former is willing to sign a one-year deal, which may be attractive. But Franson, a right shot like Hamilton and Boychuk, may be a better fit.
The Bruins are believed to have made a bid for Mike Green, also a right shot, who signed with Detroit on July 1.
Related: Sweeney explains Hamilton trade: ‘We extended Dougie a very significant contract offer’