The Montreal Canadiens announced that George Parros suffered a concussion but is alert and conscious after the scary fall he suffered while fighting Toronto Maple Leafs enforcer Colton Orr on Tuesday.
Considering how frightening that moment was, things probably could’ve been a lot worse. Here’s video of the crash:
Tonight marked the 33-year-old’s Habs debut. Hopefully we’ll see him again soon … but not before he’s physically ready, of course.
Good news out of Coyotes practice today regarding the health of defenseman Rostislav Klesla — head coach Dave Tippett said Klesla had been released from hospital and was “resting comfortably” at home.
“He probably has a little bit of a headache but he’s home, which is a good sign,” Tippett told the team website following Monday’s practice.
Klesla, 31, was stretchered off the ice Sunday after taking a hit from Los Angeles forward Jordan Nolan in a split squad game. He was kept at a local hospital until approximately 4 a.m., according to the Arizona Republic, and is now dealing with the effects of a concussion and whiplash.
Nolan was given two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct and, of note, had been penalized for roughing earlier in the period.
Following the hit on Klesla, ‘Yotes forward Paul Bissonnette left the bench to try and fight Nolan, earning himself a game misconduct in the process. Bissonnette now faces the possibility of a 10-game suspension for his actions.
Earlier today, PHT reached out to the NHL for confirmation of potential disciplinary action. A league spokesman said the incidents were still being evaluated.
This season is supposed to be the one Flyers defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon challenges for a full-time role on the blue line. Instead, he’s trying to bounce back a concussion suffered last year that ended his season.
Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com spoke with the almost 24-year-old blue liner and finds out that while he’s back skating, he’s still dealing with issues stemming from his injury.
“Every time I skated with the guys [in August] and there was contact and stuff, it was just bad luck and I had symptoms. I can’t have the contact if I am still having symptoms,” Bourdon said.
Bourdon played in just 17 games last year for the AHL Adirondack Phantoms thanks to his injury. GM Paul Holmgren says he’s “day-to-day” but he’s already announced Bourdon will start the season on long-term injured reserve.
Considering how banged up the Flyers defensive corps was last season, having all the depth you can goes a long way. Going without Bourdon won’t be helpful to Philly in anyway.
Not a great start to Florida Panthers training camp.
On Thursday, the club announced prized rookie Nick Bjugstad was being held out after suffering a concussion during the Coral Springs prospects tournament.
Bjugstad, 21, was Florida’s first-round pick (19th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He spent the last three years at the University of Minnesota and made his NHL debut for the Panthers late last season, appearing in 11 games while recording his first big-league goal.
Bjugstad, a center, is expected to challenge for a spot with the Panthers this season.
It’ll be interesting to see were he fits on the depth chart, as the club added two centers this offseason — veteran Scott Gomez and Aleksander Barkov, the second overall selection at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Jarret Stoll isn’t sure what caused his seizure in early July, but he knows it wasn’t from a concussion suffered in the postseason.
“I wish I have a little bit of an explanation,” Stoll told the LA Times on Wednesday. “Nothing really. Even with the concussion in the playoffs, I thought maybe those were connected. But they weren’t.
“That’s the good news, I guess.”
Stoll, 31, was rushed to a L.A.-area hospital the morning of July 3 after suffering the seizure and underwent a series of tests, according to Kings GM Dean Lombardi.
A few months earlier, he suffered a concussion (the second of his career) on a high hit from Sharks forward Raffi Torres.
Stoll missed almost all of Los Angeles’ second-round playoff win against San Jose, but did return to play all five Western Conference finals games against Chicago.
So, it remains unclear what caused the seizure. In speaking with LA Kings Insider earlier this month, Stoll wasn’t offering much detail.
“I feel fine. I feel a hundred percent,” he explained. “That’s not an issue. I think it’s more of an issue if people talk about it, and it’s just one of those things that happened that I wish didn’t, but it did.”
Stoll was medically cleared to return to action for the start of training camp and says he’s doing well.
“I feel good,” he told the Times. “I feel healthy.”