PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Carey Price and P.K. Subban decided to engage in a playful fight during a Montreal Canadiens practice:
There are plenty of good rookies set to make the leap in 2015 outside of Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid. Here’s 10 of them. (USA Today)
Will Alex Ovechkin lead T.J. Oshie to new heights? (Puck Daddy)
The 2014-15 Chicago Blackhawks’ names are on the Cup:
Ryan Stanton is in the hunt for Washington’s seventh defensive spot. (CSN Mid-Atlantic)
The New York Rangers’ opening game picture is starting to come into focus. (The Record)
The Winnipeg Jets struggled on the ice tonight, but head coach Paul Maurice’s dry wit was a cut above.
After suffering an 8-1 loss to the Minnesota Wild tonight, Maurice seemed to disapprove of Wild coach Mike Yeo’s decision to put out his top players in a preseason game that had already been decided.
“You get in those games, and they’re going to keep putting out good players,” Maurice said. “Like when they got an 8-1 lead. They got a power play. The best is coming out. In an exhibition game.”
He was deadpanned in his delivery, which prompted a reporter to ask Maurice if his initial comment should be taken as a sign that he’s frustrated with Yeo.
“No, no, I thought it was just an honor to be in the same building with him tonight,” Maurice replied.
You can watch it for yourself below:
The silver lining in all of this for Winnipeg is that, of course, the game didn’t count.
Minnesota’s Justin Fontaine probably won’t be available for the start of the season and it has nothing to do with David Clarkson.
While Clarkson was booted early from Thursday’s preseason contest for kneeing Fontaine, the Wild forward is dealing with an ailment from a separate hit that occurred later in the contest. Fontaine did exit the game after the Clarkson hit, but he attempted to return before leaving again.
Wild coach Mike Yeo described Fontaine’s ailment as a “sore side,” per the Star Tribune. The bench boss described the decision to hold Fontaine back as “precautionary” as they don’t want to “risk him injuring anything any worse.”
If he does miss Minnesota’s opener as expected, then it will be the second straight season a training camp injury has cost Fontaine.
His projected absence could lead to Tyler Graovac or Brett Bulmer potentially starting the season in the NHL.
The Arizona Coyotes announced that they have cut 11 players from their training camp roster and the 12th overall pick from 2014, Brendan Perlini, was included in that list.
“Rookie camp was very good for him (but he) just wasn’t able to translate to an NHL level yet,” Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said. “He’s a young player that still has lots of work to do and that’s going to happen. There’s a process you have to go through and he made huge strides this year. He’ll go back and continue to push his game forward in junior.”
Even if he won’t be making the team, the 19-year-old forward impressed the Coyotes with his skill level and speed.
Perlini will continue his development by playing for the OHL’s Niagara IceDogs where he had 26 goals and 60 points in 43 games last season. He’ll be competing against Christian Dvorak, who was also included on the Coyotes’ list of cuts.
Dvorak’s another highly regarded young forward, but Arizona has a lot of prospects that fit that description and that makes it easier for them to be patient with him and Perlini.
“With Max (Domi), Anthony Duclair, Dylan Strome, Henrik Samuelsson, newcomer Matthias Plachta and the strong play of Jordan Martinook all competing for the opening day roster, plus the need to get out established NHL players ready for the regular season, Dave Tippett and I feel this is the prudent, long-term decision,” Coyotes GM Don Maloney said.
Arizona has 31 players left on its roster.
It looks like Ruslan Fedotenko‘s attempt to work his way back into the NHL will involve at least one more stint with AHL Iowa. That’s assuming he clears waivers as he was one of the 17 players the Minnesota Wild cut from their training camp roster today, per the team’s website.
Fedotenko is a two-time Stanley Cup champion that has played in 863 career games. However, his last NHL game was in 2013. The 36-year-old forward spent the 2013-14 campaign in the KHL before starting a comeback attempt by attending the New Jersey Devils’ training camp in 2014. He didn’t make the team, but went on to play in 13 games with AHL Iowa. That audition earned him a one-year, two-way contract for this season that’s worth $600K at the NHL level.
Minnesota also waived Zac Dalpe, Jared Knight, and Brett Sutter. Among the trio, Dalpe stands out as the 25-year-old has appeared in 117 contests, including 21 with Buffalo last season.
The other 13 players cut were able to be reassigned directly to the minors. That list included one of the Wild’s top defensive prospects in Gustav Olofsson, although 22-year-old blueliner Mike Reilly is one of the final 27 players with Minnesota. Reilly is starting his pro career after recording 42 points in 39 games with the University of Minnesota last season.