<span class="vcard">Mike Halford</span>

New York Rangers v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game One

This ‘R-rated’ Derick Brassard-Tim Peel altercation sounds awfully weird

9 Comments

Here’s what we know.

During the third period of New York’s 4-1 win over Ottawa on Sunday, Rangers center Derick Brassard got an earful from referee Tim Peel.

“Screaming bloody murder” is how the New York Post described it.

Brassard said he was trying to be friendly with Peel, and that the referee “took it the wrong way.” Brassard then added the incident was “weird” and “shocked” him.

Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault had his own take:

[Vigneault] was right there to hear what was happening, and when asked about it after the game, Vigneault smiled and said it was all “R-rated.”

“I think it was just a misunderstanding,” Vigneault said. “I like Timmy a lot and I think Brass likes him too, so it was just a little misunderstanding. Boys will be boys sometimes, right?”

What we don’t know is what was said, or why Peel reacted the way he did.

But this isn’t the first time Peel’s found himself in headlines.

Earlier this year, he was suspended one game after a photo of him holding a shot of alcohol at a bar surfaced online.

The picture was in relation to an interview Peel conducted with Yahoo’s Greg Wyshynski, during which the two met at a New York-area pub to discuss, among other things, Wyshynski’s criticisms of Peel’s work.

A 20-year veteran, Peel was subsequently not chosen to work last year’s postseason. That decision came after he was selected to work both the ’14 Stanley Cup playoffs, and the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

Montreal waives Semin

Alex Galchenyuk; Alexander Semin
15 Comments

Looks like the Alex Semin era in Montreal is coming to an end.

Per multiple reports (Globe and Mail, News 1130), Montreal has apparently put veteran forward Alex Semin on waivers.

UPDATE: Confirmed, via TSN.

Semin, 31, joined the Habs this season on a one-year, $1 million deal after Carolina made the costly decision to buy out his five-year, $35 million contract.

Montreal GM Marc Bergevin took a low-risk, low-cost gamble on Semin, hoping the change of scenery could help him rediscover some of the form that saw him score a career-high 40 goals for Washington in 2009-10.

It ended up being a losing bet.

Semin has been a healthy scratch on numerous occasions this year and, when he did crack the lineup, showed a penchant for unnecessarily putting his team shorthanded.

All told, Semin had just one goal and four points in 15 games for the Habs.

It remains to be seen what happens next. It’s hard to imagine Semin being stoked about an assignment to AHL St. John’s — assuming he clears waivers — and it’s also hard to imagine him fitting into Montreal’s future plans.

Speaking of what happens next, it’ll be interesting to see if today’s move is a precursor to Montreal addressing its second line.

The club hoped Semin could be the goalscoring winger needed to play alongside Lars Eller and Alex Galchenyuk, but that clearly didn’t work out.

Related: Semin scratched again; will the Habs need to make a trade?

Gibson, Weber, Cammalleri named NHL’s three stars of the week

John Gibson

Anaheim goalie John Gibson, Nashville d-man Shea Weber and New Jersey winger Mike Cammalleri have been named the NHL’s three stars for the week ending Dec. 6, the league announced.

More:

Gibson posted a 3-1-0 record with a 0.76 goals-against average, .968 save percentage and two shutouts to lift the Ducks (11-12-5, 27 points) into fourth place in the Pacific Division.

Weber tied for second among all players with 3-3—6, including his first career hat trick, to power the Predators (13-8-5, 31 points) to a 1-1-1 record in three contests.

Cammalleri led the NHL with 4-3—7 in four outings, including three straight multi-point performances, to help the Devils (14-10-3, 31 points) move into the final Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.

Gibson’s certainly made things interesting in Anaheim.

Frederik Andersen returned from the flu and was healthy enough to back up for Sunday’s win over Pittsburgh, which forced head coach Bruce Boudreau to scratch Anton Khudobin.

So yes, the three-headed goalie monster is alive and kicking in Orange County.

Related: Gibson starts (again) as Anaheim’s crease gets crowded (again)

Foley hopes to start building ‘Hawks-style practice facility in Vegas by June

Gary Bettman, Bill Foley
7 Comments

Bill Foley continues to push towards his goal of getting an NHL franchise in Las Vegas, and is now zeroing in on locations for the prospective team’s practice rink.

He’s also got a certain style in mind.

From the Review-Journal:

Foley said he hopes to gain approval from [Clark County] in January and begin construction in June. He has a vision for what the facility would be as he said it would be similar to the new Chicago Blackhawks practice facility that will break ground next month.

The Blackhawks’ facility will be 125,000 square feet and house two NHL-sized 200-by-85 feet ice sheets, sports medicine and strength and conditioning areas, locker rooms and meeting rooms. It will also be used to grow youth hockey in the Chicagoland area. The cost, which will be $50 million, is being paid for by the team.

This past July, the ‘Hawks announced plans for their new practice facility and community ice center, which will be located across from the United Center. Construction is expected to begin in 2016 with an estimated completion date for sometime in ’18.

Currently, the ‘Hawks practice at the United Center, or their rental space at Johnny’s IceHouse West.

As for the Las Vegas version, the Review-Journal reports Foley’s looking at “at least two different sites along Interstate 215” for a practice facility, adding he’s “been working with Clark County to get everything in order to approve his request for proposal on the land.”

In the same piece, Clark County commissioner Steve Sisolak said he sent a letter to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman about his plans to work with Foley, noting Bettman “was very complimentary.”

Ex-Preds forward Moses signs with KHL power Saint Petersburg

Norway v USA - 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship
2 Comments

Steve Moses is back in the KHL.

Though it’s not with his old club.

Moses, who was unconditionally waived by Nashville last week, has signed with SKA Saint Petersburg, the club announced on Monday. SKA is the same big-money club that currently employs the likes of Ilya Kovalchuk, Alexei Ponikarovsky and Joakim Lindstrom — and now, it has one of the most prolific snipers in league history.

Moses, 26, set a KHL scoring record with 36 goals in 60 games last year for Jokerit.

The former University of New Hampshire standout opted to leave the KHL this summer for the NHL and, after being courted by a few teams, inked a one-year, $1 million deal with Nashville.

The contract, however, gave no guarantees of sticking in the NHL — only the $1 million was guaranteed, regardless of where Moses played.

The 26-year-old also didn’t require waivers to be sent to AHL Milwaukee, which is where he ended up after training camp.

Moses never appeared in a single regular season game for the Predators prior to getting waived. He did, however, score eight points in 16 games for the Admirals.