Mike Halford

OSTRAVA, CZECH REPUBLIC - MAY 04:  Jack Campbell, goalkeeper of USA, in action during the IIHF World Championship group B match between Russia and USA at CEZ Arena on May 4, 2015 in Ostrava, Czech Republic.  (Photo by Matej Divizna/Getty Images)

Kings sign Campbell, Dowd and Forbort

1 Comment

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) The Los Angeles Kings have signed goalie Jack Campbell and re-signed center Nic Dowd and defenseman Derek Forbort.

The Kings announced the moves Monday.

Los Angeles traded defenseman Nick Ebert to Dallas last month for Campbell, the 11th overall pick in the 2010 draft. Campbell played just one NHL game for the Stars in October 2013, spending most of his career in the AHL.

Goalie Jeff Zatkoff signed with the Kings last week to compete for the backup job behind Jonathan Quick.

Dowd and Forbort were restricted free agents who made their NHL debuts last season. Dowd played five games for the Kings, while Forbort scored two points in 14 games.

Prosecutor says case against O’Reilly ‘completely over,’ confirms he initiated dismissal

Ryan O'Reilly, Nikita Kucherov
Getty
5 Comments

An Ontario Crown Attorney has confirmed the criminal case against Buffalo All-Star Ryan O'Reilly is “completely over,” following a trial that took place more than one year after O’Reilly was arrested on an impaired driving charge.

But George Christakos, the Crown Attorney — in Canada, the government prosecutor in criminal cases — would not divulge any additional details about the case, other than confirming to the Buffalo News he was the one that initiated the dismissal of charges.

More:

“We heard from the first witness, and after that, I invited the court to dismiss the charges against Mr. O’Reilly,” Christakos told The News. Justice Thomas McKay then agreed to dismiss those charges.

When asked why the case dragged on for more than a year with apparently no eyewitness identification, Christakos declined comment.

He also wouldn’t discuss why the prosecution couldn’t have relied on other evidence, such as the damage to the truck.

O’Reilly was initially charged with impaired driving last July following an incident in Ontario — an incident in which he allegedly crashed his vintage 1951 Chevrolet pickup into a Tim Horton’s restaurant, and fled the scene.

The case had seven adjournments before a trial date finally was set in late December. O’Reilly, 25, pleaded not guilty to impaired driving and a related blood-alcohol charge earlier in today’s courtroom proceedings.

Flyers, Weal avoid arbitration with one-year deal

PHILADELPHIA, PA - JANUARY 25: Jordan Weal #19 of the Philadelphia Flyers skates against the Boston Bruins during the second period at Wells Fargo Center on January 25, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Jordan Weal had filed for salary arbitration with the Flyers, and was scheduled to have his hearing on July 29.

Well, scratch that.

On Monday, both parties avoided that unpleasant piece of business by agreeing to a one-year deal worth a reported $650,000 at the NHL level (per CBC). It’s also believed to be a two-way contract.

More, from the Flyers:

Weal, 24, was acquired from the Los Angeles Kings on January 6, 2016. He saw the first NHL action of his career last year, making his debut for the Kings and appearing in 10 games before coming to Philadelphia, where he appeared in four contests.

Weal has been a really good scorer at the AHL level, and captured Calder Cup MVP honors in 2015. He’s definitely got some talent, but had a tough time finding minutes with the Flyers last season (he was the lone roster player acquired in the deal that sent Luke Schenn and Vincent Lecavalier to L.A.)

The knock on Weal is that he isn’t very big — listed at 5-foot-10, 179 pounds — and will probably be hard pressed to see a ton of ice time in Philly next year. Of course, he could stick around the parent club and avoid the AHL because he’s waiver eligible, and the Flyers won’t want to lose him for nothing.

Vegas GM search down to two — Tallon, Maciver not among them

Dale Tallon
AP
7 Comments

Las Vegas owner Bill Foley has narrowed his general manager search down from seven candidates to two — and while he didn’t reveal who they were, he did shed some light on their respective qualities.

“I can tell you the people we talked to are all well-known in the hockey community and are well-respected,” Foley said Monday, per the Review-Journal. “They’re all very smart and they’ve done different things for different teams.

“Some are strong on the (salary) cap. Some are strong when it comes to assessing talent. But they all have strong backgrounds.”

Foley classified the two finalists as “primary candidates,” whittled down from an original group of seven interviewees. He also added he hopes to have a decision made within the next few days. That would put Vegas’ GM search ahead of schedule — earlier this month, Foley said he hoped to have a GM in place by the beginning of August.

And while we don’t know who’s in in the mix, we do know two rumored candidates that are out.

Those would be current Florida Panthers president Dale Tallon and current Blackhawks assistant GM Norm Maciver. Tallon, who was “promoted” from the GM role in Florida this offseason, was allowed to speak with the Vegas group after Foley was granted permission by Panthers owner Vincent Viola.

But Foley never reached out.

As for Maciver — “considered one of the top hockey minds in the league,” per the Review-Journal — he wasn’t contacted by Foley either.

Maciver, who appeared in over 500 games as a player, has been Stan Bowman’s assistant in Chicago since 2012 and reportedly interviewed with Pens CEO David Morehouse about Pittsburgh’s GM gig three years ago — a job that eventually went to Jim Rutherford.

Killorn, Johansson, Schwartz scheduled to open arbitration hearings

PITTSBURGH, PA - MAY 22:  Alex Killorn #17 of the Tampa Bay Lightning celebrates with his teammates after scoring a goal against Marc-Andre Fleury #29 of the Pittsburgh Penguins during the second period in Game Five of the Eastern Conference Final during the 2016 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Consol Energy Center on May 22, 2016 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)
Getty

Tampa Bay’s Alex Killorn, Washington’s Marcus Johansson and St. Louis’ Jaden Schwartz have been scheduled as the first three of 25 salary arbitration hearings, the NHLPA announced on Monday.

Killorn, Johansson and Schwartz are set for July 20, the first day of the arbitration window (which runs until Aug. 4).

Here’s the full list:

Arizona Coyotes
Michael Stone – August 4, 2016

Colorado Avalanche
Tyson Barrie – July 29, 2016
Mikhail Grigorenko – July 22, 2016

Detroit Red Wings
Jared Coreau *
Danny DeKeyser – July 28, 2016

Minnesota Wild
Jordan Schroeder – July 27, 2016

Nashville Predators
Calle Jarnkrok – August 4, 2016
Petter Granberg – August 3, 2016

New York Rangers
Kevin Hayes – July 27, 2016
Chris Kreider – July 22, 2016
Dylan McIlrath – July 21, 2016
Jonathan Miller – August 2, 2016

New Jersey Devils
Kyle Palmieri *

Ottawa Senators
Mike Hoffman – August 4, 2016

Philadelphia Flyers
Brandon Manning – August 2, 2016
Brayden Schenn – July 25, 2016
Jordan Weal – July 29, 2016

St. Louis Blues
Jaden Schwartz – July 20, 2016

Tampa Bay Lightning
Alex Killorn – July 20, 2016
Vladislav Namestnikov – July 29, 2016

Toronto Maple Leafs
Frank Corrado – July 26, 2016
Peter Holland – July 25, 2016
Martin Marincin – August 2, 2016

Washington Capitals
Marcus Johansson – July 20, 2016

CLUB ELECTED FILINGS

Detroit Red Wings

Petr Mrazek – July 27, 2016

(asterisk signifies settlement)

Schwartz, who’s hit the 25-goal mark in two of his last three seasons, has never been through arbitration before but, in 2014, sat out the early part of the Blues’ training camp while hammering out a new deal.

The two sides eventually agreed to a two-year, $4.7 million extension.

Johansson went to arbitration with the Caps last season, and was rewarded a one-year, $3.75 million deal. That came after he sought a salary of $4.75 million, while the Capitals filed a request of $3 million.

Killorn’s situation is interesting, as the 26-year-old — coming off a two-year, $5.1 million deal — has been a terrific playoff performer for the Bolts over the last two years. He’s certainly deserving of a raise, but it will be difficult for GM Steve Yzerman to negotiate, as Yzerman also needs to reach new deals for RFAs Vladislav Namestnikov, and budding star Nikita Kucherov.