Mike Halford

You've heard the expression "let's get busy?" Well, Mike Halford is a blogger who gets "biz-zay!" Consistently and thoroughly.
Getty

Vegas to unveil name, logo on Nov. 22

12 Comments

OK, it’s official — we’re going to find out what the Las Vegas team is called.

And what it’ll look like.

On Tuesday, Nov. 22, the franchise will unveil its name and logo at T-Mobile Arena, in an “exciting event” that will feature NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, owner Bill Foley and GM George McPhee.

The announcement has been a long time coming.

For months, reports have leaked about the name and logo, most of them connected to Foley’s long-standing desire for “Knights” to be incorporated.

Back in late August, the Vegas group confirmed it had trademarks on Desert Knights, Golden Knights and Silver Knights; two weeks later, the franchise said it had a name, but vowed to keep it secret.

Not long after, Foley said the club was pushing the announcement back to November.

 

Goalie nods: Red-hot Lehner back in for Buffalo

Getty
1 Comment

Maybe the illness was needed.

After missing a few games while feeling under the weather, Buffalo netminder Robin Lehner has returned with aplomb, and now carries his hot streak into Boston tonight to take on the Bruins.

Lehner is 3-1-0 in four consecutive starts since Oct. 30, posting a 1.26 GAA and .961 save percentage. His “worst” outing of the four was a 2-1 loss to the Leafs, in which he made 27 saves.

The big Swede’s play couldn’t have come at a better time. Goals have been come to hard by for the Sabres — largely due to the Jack Eichel and Evander Kane injuries — but Lehner has been terrific in keeping pucks out, allowing Buffalo to secure points from low-scoring games.

For the B’s, Tuukka Rask is in goal.

Elsewhere…

Ryan Miller, fresh off a 6-3 loss (and fight with Matt Martin) in Toronto on Saturday, is back in goal for the Canucks. He’ll be up against Jaroslav Halak, who starts for the Isles.

— Good matchup in the Battle of Florida: Ben Bishop and the Bolts take on Roberto Luongo and the Panthers, in Sunrise.

Jet, landed: Winnipeg signs Trouba to two-year, $6M deal

Getty
10 Comments

Jacob Trouba‘s contract squabble with the Winnipeg Jets is over.

On Monday, the Jets inked the RFA defenseman to a two-year, $6 million deal with a $3M AAV — one that pays $2.5 million in the first year, and $3.5 million in the second.

Trouba, who requested a trade out of Winnipeg last month, hasn’t played at all this season, and needed to sign before Dec. 1 if he wanted to.

So, that piece of business is out of the way.

Now we get to see how much damage was done to the relationship.

In September, agent Kurt Overhardt, insisted the trade request had nothing to do with money and everything to do with “the opportunity to realize [Trouba’s] potential as a right shot NHL defenseman.”

The Jets already have two veteran right-shot defenseman under contract. Dustin Byfuglien recently signed a five-year extension, Tyler Myers has three years left on his deal.

On the surface, Overhardt’s comments about the money appear to ring true. Last December, reports suggested Trouba’s initial ask was big money, big term — $56 million over eight years, per the Free Press.

Instead, the 22-year-old has opted for a bridge deal with a significantly lower AAV.

Which is awfully familiar.

Back in 2011, another Overhardt client — Kyle Turris — was in a similar boat to Trouba. Turris, then a member of the Coyotes, was a restricted free agent that missed the early part of the season embroiled in a contract negotiation, only to sign a two-year bridge deal and return to the desert.

Less than a month after signing, Turris was traded to Ottawa.

Trouba’s new contract would certainly make him easy to move. Any acquiring team knows they’ve got him for at least two years on very friendly cap hit, and the former ninth overall pick is considered to be one of the brightest young d-man prospects around.

But the Jets know this too, and certainly sound like a team that wants Trouba in the mix. In mid-October, GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said they “believe that Jacob is a big part of this organization,” and for all the talk of a fractured relationship, do remember that Jonathan Drouin made it work in Tampa Bay.

If reconciliation can occur after what Drouin went through with the Bolts, it can probably occur with Trouba and the Jets.

With just four goals in their last three games, Sharks make interesting call-up

Getty
2 Comments

San Jose’s in a bit of a funk.

Mired in a three-game losing streak — during which they’ve only scored four times — the Sharks had arguably their worst game of the season on Saturday, a 5-0 drubbing at home to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

So on Monday, they went calling to the farm.

Kevin Labanc, currently tied for the AHL Barracuda scoring lead with 10 points through six games, has been brought up to the big club.

It’s an interesting move.

Labanc, an undersized winger taken in the sixth round of the 2014 draft, has been a high-level point producer over the past few years. He scored 127 in 65 games in his final season with OHL Barrie, then racked up 26 more in just 15 playoff games.

He’s really impressed Barracuda head coach Roy Sommer this season, on the “Kid Line” with Nikolay Goldobin and Rourke Chartier.

From the Gackle Report:

[Goldobin is] benefiting from playing alongside a natural finisher in Labanc, who has the “hardest, most accurate shot,” Sommer has seen in almost two decades of coaching the franchise.

“I can score, too, but I’m always trying to find him because I know he has a really good shot,” Goldobin said, referring to Labanc.

That the Sharks are bringing in a sniper is telling.

In terms of possession and shot metrics, they’re faring well (see here and here), but there’s been an issue translating that into goals. The club sits 27th in the NHL in GPG, with forwards Joe Thornton, Mikkel Boedker, Joel Ward, Chris Tierney and Matt Nieto having combined for a grand total of five tallies.

So maybe having a trigger man in the lineup will help.

Young get younger as Coyotes bring up DeAngelo, Gaudet

Getty

The kids are running the show in Arizona.

On Monday, John Chayka — at 27, the NHL’s youngest GM — announced the Coyotes had recalled 21-year-old defenseman Anthony DeAngelo and 23-year-old forward Tyler Gaudet from AHL Tucson.

In corresponding moves, the Arizona Republic reports d-man Michael Stone and center Martin Hanzal have been placed on IR. Also, this:

DeAngelo and Gaudet will now join a Coyotes team featuring the likes of:

Jakob Chychrun (18 years old)

Lawson Crouse (19)

Dylan Strome (19)

Christian Dvorak (20)

Anthony Duclair (21)

Laurent Dauphin (21)

Max Domi (21)

Of the two recalls, DeAngelo — taken 19th overall by Tampa Bay at the 2014 draft — is the most intriguing.

At the time of selection, Lightning scouting director Al Murray called DeAngelo “the most skilled offensive defenseman in the draft,” saying he was a better passer and puck mover than the No. 1 overall pick — Aaron Ekblad.

“Ekblad’s a special player, but he doesn’t have the offensive ability that Anthony has at this point,” Murray said. “Aaron Ekblad’s a tremendous player. He’s physically strong enough to be in the NHL next year, he’s a shutdown defenseman that plays with a mean streak.

“But when it comes to his actual puck skills and offensive game, he makes a solid first pass and he’s got a bomb for a shot from the point — but we don’t see the same ability to move the puck around, have the same vision, make all the different passes in different zones that Anthony has.”

Last year, his first pro season with AHL Syracuse, DeAngelo produced well offensively — six goals and 43 points in 69 games.

The Coyotes acquired DeAngelo on Day 2 of this year’s draft, sending the 37th overall pick to the Lightning. It wasn’t clear if his history of character issues came into play, but Murray did refer to DeAngelo as a “one-dimensional” defenseman shortly after the trade was announced.