Mike Halford

LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 12:  Jacob Trouba #8 of the Winnipeg Jets watches his pass during a 4-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings at Staples Center on October 12, 2014 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Jets aren’t trying to trade Trouba, says Chevy

2 Comments

There’s been a lot of smoke around Winnipeg blueliner Jacob Trouba, who’s been at the center of trade rumors for weeks now.

But according to his GM, that’s all it is — smoke.

“Trying to trade Jacob Trouba?” Kevin Cheveldayoff said on Tuesday, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “This is an interesting time of year. I’ve seen lots of different scenarios out there of teams that are pushing hard that I haven’t even heard from and I’ve talked to different teams that have asked different questions that I’ve certainly asked myself.

“I’m not trying to trade anybody.”

Cheveldayoff then continued on, saying that Winnipeg has “some good young players here,” Trouba and Mark Scheifele chief among them. Those two are, of course, up for new contracts this summer, and Cheveldayoff re-iterated the goal is to get both re-signed.

“So trying to trade [Trouba]?” he asked. “No.”

The Trouba situation is complex, which is why Cheveldayoff had to address it today.

The ninth overall pick in 2012 — who only turned 22 in February — has already played over 200 NHL contests and holds the potential to be a top-flight defenseman for an awfully long time. That projection would fit with reports from earlier this season, in which Trouba was apparently asking for a monster eight-year, $56 million extension, one that would carry a $7 million average annual cap hit.

Trouba’s agent eventually shot down the report, but things only got more interesting from there.

In February, Dustin Byfuglien signed a five-year, $38 million extension (a $7.6M cap hit), which led to speculation about Trouba’s future in the ‘Peg. It wasn’t just Byfuglien’s big, new contract that had people wondering about Trouba’s future in Winnipeg. Tyler Myers is also signed through 2018-19, and all three are right shots.

In April, reports claimed Trouba’s agent was meeting with the Jets to “strategize” contract talks. Not long after, rumblings surfaced that Colorado was interested in acquiring Trouba.

The x-factor in all this, of course, is Schiefele…and Joel Armia, Connor Hellebuyck, Adam Lowry, Alex Burmistrov, Marko Dano and Andrew Copp, all of whom are either RFAs this summer, or the next.

They are but a few of the good young players Cheveldayoff was talking about. It’s becoming clear he’s not going to be able to afford them all — not with the likes of Kyle Connor, Josh Morrissey, Brendan Lemieux and possibly Patrik Laine all on the way.

Detroit re-ups with Lashoff — one year, $650,000

UNIONDALE, NY - NOVEMBER 29: Brian Lashoff #23 of the Detroit Red Wings skates against the New York Islanders at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on November 29, 2013 in Uniondale, New York. The Red Wings defeated the Islanders 5-0.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

Not a huge signing, but a signing nonetheless — on Tuesday, the Red Wings gave d-man Brian Lashoff a one-year extension, per TVA.

The contract is worth $650,000 at the NHL level and $250,000 at the AHL level.

Lashoff, 25, has been with the Detroit organization since ’08-09, and has appeared in 117 games at the NHL level. His best season came in ’13-14 — six points in 75 games — but, after splitting the ’14-15 campaign between Detroit and Grand Rapids, Lashoff spent all of last year with the Griffins.

Lashoff is probably sticking around due to his familiarity with Wings head coach Jeff Blashill — the pair won the 2013 Calder Cup together, and Lashoff is a decent depth guy that could be called up in a pinch.

‘Hawks re-sign minor league goalie Carruth

CHICAGO, IL - JUNE 12:  A worker adjusts a Chicago Blackhawks' banner alongside the Chicago River in the Loop on June 12, 2013 in Chicago, Illinois. The Chicago Blackhawks will match up against the Boston Bruins tonight at the United Center in the first game on the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs.  (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Chicago further bolstered its goalie depth on Tuesday, signing Mac Carruth to a one-year deal.

Carruth, 24, split last season between AHL Rockford and ECHL Indy, going 6-5-2 with a 2.30 GAA and .926 save percentage for the IceHogs. Chicago’s seventh-round pick in 2010, Carruth has spent his entire professional career with the Blackhawks organization, but has yet to make his NHL debut.

Looking ahead, it’ll be interesting to see where he lands on the depth chart next season. Corey Crawford is locked in as the club’s No. 1 and Crawford’s backup, Scott Darling, has one year left on a very affordable deal ($587,500).

Last month, Chicago inked Swedish League standout Lars Johansson, the SHL’s reigning goalie of the year. With Carruth now signed on as well, it’s possible veteran netminder Michael Leighton — who had a pretty good year in Rockford — could be moving on, as could fellow UFA goalie Mark Visentin.

It’s official: ‘Proven winner and motivator’ Carlyle back as Ducks head coach

ANAHEIM, CA - JUNE 06:  Head Coach, Randy Carlyle of the Anaheim Ducks celebrates lifting the Stanley Cup after defeating the Ottawa Senators in Game Five of the 2007 Stanley Cup finals on June 6, 2007 at Honda Center in Anaheim, California. The Ducks defeated the Senators 6-2 to win the Stanley Cup Finals 4 games to 1.  (Photo by Jeff Golden/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

What’s old is new again in Anaheim.

On Tuesday, the Ducks announced that Randy Carlyle would be back as head coach, confirming earlier reports that the 60-year-old would be return for a second stint with the club.

“A proven winner and motivator, Randy has expertly managed the bench throughout his coaching career,” Ducks GM Bob Murray said in a release. “Our expectations are extremely high, and I believe Randy is the coach who can lead us to playoff success and our ultimate goal, the Stanley Cup.”

Carlyle, the winningest coach in franchise history, led the Ducks to their first and only championship in 2007, but was dismissed four years later after the Ducks started the 2011-12 campaign with a 7-13-4 record.

He went on to coach in Toronto, only to be dismissed midway through the ’14-15 season.

Now, he’s back in the mix.

“I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to come back to Anaheim and rejoin the organization that gave me my first opportunity as an NHL head coach,” Carlyle said in the same release. “I’ve followed this team closely for the last couple of years and am familiar with the core group. I believe this team can win immediately and I can’t wait to get started.”

The Carlyle hire comes six weeks after Murray dismissed Bruce Boudreau — the guy hired to replace Carlyle six years ago. Boudreau’s dismissal came after Anaheim’s opening-round playoff exit to Nashville, the last in a long string of postseason disappointments.

The Ducks did look at some other candidates, including Mike Yeo (since hired by the Blues), Rick Bowness (since re-upped with Tampa Bay) and Travis Green (still with AHL Utica). But Carlyle always remained a constant, and it’s believed some of the club’s veteran players wanted him back in the fold.

Ryan Kesler, who played for Carlyle back in AHL Manitoba, said he was a big fan of Carlyle’s coaching style.

“I remember that he probably played me 30 minutes a night,” Kesler said of his time under Carlyle, per the Province. “He was a very good bench coach and very detailed. We worked on faceoff plays every practice and on the power play every practice — things that you really need to work on everyday.”

The decision to bring back Carlyle has been met with some criticisms, however. Some consider it a rather uninspired hire, and there are those with less-than-fond memories of his first tenure in Anaheim — like former NHL defenseman Ryan Whitney, who played for two years under Carlyle.

 

Report: Sens offered both short- and long-term deals to Ceci

OTTAWA, ON - FEBRUARY 6: Cody Ceci #5 of the Ottawa Senators skates against the Toronto Maple Leafs during an NHL game at Canadian Tire Centre on February 6, 2016 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  (Photo by Jana Chytilova/Freestyle Photography/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Cody Ceci, the former first-round pick that played alongside Dion Phaneuf in Ottawa last season, has reportedly been offered both short- and long-term contract extensions by GM Pierre Dorion, per the Sun.

Ceci, the 15th overall pick in ’12, just wrapped the last of his three-year entry deal and will be a restricted free agent on July 1. The 22-year-old defenseman was a bright spot for Ottawa last season — scoring a career-high 10 goals and 26 points — and he helped Canada capture gold at the 2016 World Hockey Championships, finishing with six points in 10 games.

It’ll be very interesting to see what kind of financial commitment the Sens end up making. The club could “buy” some of Ceci’s UFA years with a longer-term deal, but that will cost a pretty penny. The alternative could be to offer something shorter and see how Ceci progresses, but the danger there is the asking price going up should he continue to develop as a good offensive blueliner.