Mike Halford

EDMONTON, AB - MARCH 18:  Griffin Reinhart #8 of the Edmonton Oilers skates against the Vancouver Canucks on March 18, 2016 at Rexall Place in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. (Photo by Codie McLachlan/Getty Images)

Oilers cut Reinhart from camp, making trade with Isles look even worse


Tough day for Griffin Reinhart, but perhaps an even tougher day for Edmonton.

On Friday, the Oilers announced they’ve sent former No. 4 overall pick to AHL Bakersfield — despite the fact Edmonton still has 29 players left at camp, nine of them d-men, and one exhibition game remaining.

Translation: Reinhart wasn’t even one of the last guys cut.

Reinhart, 22, was acquired from the Isles at the 2015 draft and only appeared in 29 games for Edmonton last year, scoring just one point. There was hope his second season with the Oilers would be a step forward but, through the preseason, he struggled to show any signs of improved form.

“The coaching staff was dumb enough to start him on the right side in his first game and not give him any type of confidence,” head coach Todd McLellan said following an exhibition loss to Vancouver, per CHED 630 radio. “We’re going to put him on the left side and let him play.

“Obviously, his performance the other night wasn’t what he hoped it would be.”

As mentioned in the headline, the Reinhart trade is shaping up to be a complete bust for the Oilers. They gave the Islanders the 16th and 33rd picks at the draft, and the Isles used those picks to select Mathew Barzal and Anthony Beauvillier (moving up from 33 to 28 to snag the latter).

As Brough wrote yesterday, both Barzal and Beauvillier are still in Islanders camp, and have a realistic shot of making the team when the season opens next week.

‘Canes lose d-man Murphy (lower body) for 3-4 weeks

Ryan Murphy

This summer, we profiled two of Carolina’s brightest young blueline prospects — Roland McKeown and Haydn Fleury — and their quest to make the Hurricanes this season.

Well, both their chances just increased a bit.

Ryan Murphy, who’s appeared in over 120 games for the ‘Canes over the last three years, has suffered a lower-body injury and will miss the next 3-4 weeks, per the News & Observer.

The 12th overall pick in 2011, Murphy has dealt with a number of health issues since making his NHL debut, which has resulted in him never playing more than 48 games in a single season. While the ‘Canes aren’t writing him off or anything, it will be interesting to see what happens with him moving forward.

Do remember that Murphy was one of the highest picks from a previous regime — Jim Rutherford was the GM at the time, and Paul Maurice was the coach.

So, back to the present.

Here’s what the ‘Canes lined up on defense ahead of tonight’s game versus Washington:

That’s not far off what the opening-night lineup could resemble, with Fleury being the No. 7 guy. That said, another prospect — Trevor Carrick, a fourth-round pick in 2012 — could also be in the mix, as he’s still on the active roster.

Report: Sharks, Burns have started contract extension talks

SAN JOSE, CA - FEBRUARY 29:  Brent Burns #88 of the San Jose Sharks celebrates after scoring a goal in the second period against the Montreal Canadiens at SAP Center on February 29, 2016 in San Jose, California.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

According to a CSN Bay Area source, the San Jose’s begun negotiations with prized defenseman Brent Burns.


Sharks general manager Doug Wilson doesn’t comment on contract negotiations, and Burns’ agent is also keeping mum with one week to go until the start of the regular season, although there have been talks between the two sides according to a source.

Burns, though, painted a slightly hazier picture than [Sharks head coach Peter] DeBoer. Here’s the back-and-forth with him after Thursday’s skate:

You’re going into the last year of your deal here, does that weigh on your mind at all?

Burns: “No, I don’t really think about it, to be honest.”

Are you involved in the process?

Burns: “Yeah. Pretty involved.”

Burns, 31, is heading into the last of a five-year, $28.8 million deal with a $5.76M average annual cap hit. He’ll undoubtedly get a raise with his new contract, as he’s really come into his own over the last few seasons.

Especially last season.

Burns scored a career-high 27 goals and 75 points in ’15-16, and was named a Norris finalist for the first time. He also racked up 24 points in 24 playoff games, playing a huge role in San Jose’s first-ever Stanley Cup Final appearance.

That spring-boarded Burns onto Team Canada at the World Cup, where he finished with three points in six games.

In terms of comparables, one would think Burns could haul in Dustin Byfuglien money — by that we mean the five-year, $38 million pact Big Buff signed with the Jets this past spring. That deal carries an average annual value of $7.6 million, making Byfuglien one of the highest-paid rearguards in the NHL.

Of course, we have no idea if Burns is angling for that kind of money — but one thing is certain. Both he and the Sharks want to get the deal done sooner rather than later because, as a pending UFA, the distraction of going without a contract can be intense.

Former ‘Canes d-man Jordan signs in KHL

New Jersey Devils v Carolina Hurricanes

Fresh off representing the Czechs at the World Cup of Hockey, Michal Jordan is on his way overseas.

Jordan, who appeared in 79 games over the last four seasons for Carolina, has signed with KHL side Ak Bars Kazan, the team announced on Friday.

Jordan, 26, was Carolina’s fourth-round pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, and made his big league debut during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.

His best season came in ’14-15, when he scored six points in 38 games for the ‘Canes, averaging just under 16 minutes per night.

Last month, Jordan was a key fixture on the Czech defense at the World Cup, and finished the tournament well, playing 21:18 in a win over the U.S. while finishing plus-2.

Though he’s got a reasonably decent NHL resume, Jordan was unable to stick with the ‘Canes after his one-year, $625,000 deal expired in July. Carolina has some young guys looking to crack the blueline this year — Haydn Fleury and Rolan McKeown chief among them — and Jordan was jettisoned, in part, so those kids could have a shot at making the team.

‘Phil Kessel is a Stanley Cup champion!’ — President Obama welcomes Penguins to White House (Video)


The Pittsburgh Penguins had their day at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue on Thursday, and it started in fine form.

“It is wonderful to be here, welcome to the White House,” President Barack Obama said in his opening remarks. “We are here to celebrate an extraordinary achievement — Phil Kessel is a Stanley Cup champion!”


What followed was the usual presidential fare — some jokes, some congrats and a bunch of player references (Sidney Crosby, Matt Murray and Kessel’s HBK running mates, Carl Hagelin and Nick Bonino).

Obama also made mention of Pittsburgh’s last visit after winning the Cup in 2009, when Evgeni Malkin took a bunch of pictures on his flip phone.

Pittsburgh bid farewell to the outgoing president with (another) No. 44 jersey — the Pens gave him one seven years ago as well — and a mini-Stanley Cup.