Jason Brough

Boston College goalie Thatcher Demko makes a save on a shot by Quinnipiac during the second period of an NCAA Frozen Four semifinal men's college hockey game Thursday, April 7, 2016, in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)
AP

Demko signs with Canucks, foregoing senior year at B.C.

4 Comments

The Vancouver Canucks will not lose Thatcher Demko like the Nashville Predators lost Jimmy Vesey.

Demko today signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Canucks, making the decision to forego his senior year at Boston College.

Prior to today’s announcement, the worry in Vancouver was that the highly touted, 20-year-old goalie would return to school and become an unrestricted free agent next summer. The Canucks drafted Demko 36th overall in 2014. He was a Hobey Baker finalist this season. 

“He’s going through the process of what he wants to do and he knows how we feel,” Vancouver GM Jim Benning told Postmedia earlier this week.

“We’ve been patient and he’s sorting out some things on his side. I would expect that we’ll know more in the next few days. If he decides he’s going to turn pro, he’s a guy we want to develop and we assured him he would have a spot in Utica.”

Before Demko makes his AHL debut next season, he’ll represent the United States at the world championship in Russia.

Related: Demko focused on winning a title with Boston College, will talk with Canucks this summer

Shockingly, the Rangers and Penguins didn’t see the Letang slash the same way

34 Comments

The New York Rangers disagree with the NHL’s decision to let Kris Letang off the hook.

As you’re surely aware by now, Letang was not suspended for catching Rangers forward Viktor Stalberg with a high stick on Tuesday night.

“We might feel it seems deliberate,” Vigneault said, per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

“The NHL doesn’t see it that way and the referees on the ice at that time didn’t see it that way. So just gotta deal with it and focus on the next game.”

This is not the first time this season that Vigneault has not seen eye-to-eye with the Department of Player Safety. Recall Matt Beleskey‘s hit that injured Derek Stepan in November, and what Vigneault thought of that. (Beleskey was not suspended.)

Via Greg Wyshynski of Yahoo Sports, here’s why the league chose not to discipline Letang:

1. Letang is off-balance due to the hit. Check his skates – they’re both off the ice as his stick is raised to Stalberg’s head.

2. Now check the left arm of Letang on the slow-motion replay. As he absorbs the Moore hit, his left arm slams against the glass, and as it does his stick – which he’s carrying dangerously high already – snaps into the neck of Stalberg. The NHL believes his left glove or the end of his stick catches a stanchion on the glass. The hit by Moore causes him to twist and makes the stick go forward into Stalberg’s neck.

3. Therefore, the NHL sees this as an accident and not intentional. 

Watching the video, it does appear possible that Letang’s stick accelerated forward into Stalberg’s face after the butt end made contact with the corner glass.

Feel free to disagree. That’s what comments sections are for.

But for the record, here’s what Letang had to say:

And here’s what Letang’s coach, Mike Sullivan, said:

Chorney to replace Orpik, who’s ‘doing better’

7 Comments

Brooks Orpik didn’t skate today and he won’t play tonight in Philadelphia, but he’s “doing better.”

Capitals head coach Barry Trotz provided that update this morning, two days after the veteran defenseman was shaken up on a hit by the Flyers’ Ryan White.

“We’ll see where he is tomorrow,” Trotz said of Orpik, per the Washington Post. “I don’t predict anything, but I know he’s feeling better. I saw him last night, and I saw him this morning. The trainers are working with him, and hopefully, he’s back soon.”

Orpik will be replaced by Taylor Chorney, the 28-year-old who appeared 55 times for Washington in the regular season.

The Caps can sweep the Flyers with a victory, and they intend to do just that.

“When you have a chance to close out a team in the playoffs, you need to step on their throat and end it,” d-man Mike Weber told CSN Washington.

“You can’t give them any breath, any life.”

Dubas: ‘I don’t believe I’m ready to be an NHL general manager’

SUNRISE, FL - JUNE 26:  Kyle Dubas Assistant General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs talks on the phone as President Brendan Shanahan looks on during the first round of the 2015 NHL Draft at BB&T Center on June 26, 2015 in Sunrise, Florida.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Getty
3 Comments

The Arizona Coyotes could name a new general manager in the next week or two. They’ve already had “multiple discussions with multiple individuals,” co-owner Anthony LeBlanc told the Arizona Republic this week.

But whoever they end up hiring, it won’t be Maple Leafs assistant GM Kyle Dubas.

“Very bluntly put, I don’t believe I’m ready to be an NHL general manager,” Dubas said, per the Toronto Star’s Kevin McGran. “I believe I have a lot to learn, and I believe Toronto is the best place for me to learn that.”

Many saw Dubas, 29, as a candidate for the Arizona job after the Coyotes stated their new management strategy would have an emphasis on analytics, a specialty of his.

The leading candidate to replace Don Maloney is rumored to be Stars assistant GM Les Jackson.

Where does the Bruins’ roster need to improve? Neely identifies three areas

Boston Bruins President Cam Neely, left, and Bruins Chief Executive Officer Charlie Jacobs prepare to leave a news conference in Boston, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, regarding the hockey team's decision to fire general manager Peter Chiarelli days after missing the NHL playoffs for the first time in eight years. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)
AP
9 Comments

The Boston Bruins held another press conference this morning. Six days after GM Don Sweeney and head coach Claude Julien had the floor, it was time to hear from owner Jeremy Jacobs, CEO Charlie Jacobs, and president Cam Neely.

It was Neely who said the most. In addition to stating the obvious — that the Bruins were disappointed at how their season ended — he outlined three parts of the roster that needed to be addressed.

The first is the defense.

“We know that it’s an area that we need to improve upon,” said Neely. “That’s probably at the top of the list.”

It’s no secret that the Bruins’ blue line has gone from a position of great strength to one of weakness. The departures of Johnny Boychuk and Dougie Hamilton left significant holes that have yet to be filled, so expect the likes of Jacob Trouba, Matt Dumba, Sami Vatanen, Kevin Shattenkirk, and Tyson Barrie to be targeted, should any of those players become available this offseason.

The two other parts are right wing (where Neely would like to get “heavier”) and backup goaltending (after Jonas Gustavsson failed to provide the B’s reliable netminding behind Tuukka Rask).

There was also this, about pending UFA Loui Eriksson:

And this, about Julien:

All in all, it should be an interesting offseason in Boston. We saw last summer that Sweeney is not afraid to wheel and deal, and after two straight missed postseasons, you can bet that Neely is feeling the heat himself.

Related: Jack Edwards says the Bruins’ blue line ‘is in a crisis right now’