Jason Brough

FOXBORO, MA - DECEMBER 31:  Ray Bourque #77 of the Boston Bruins skates against the Montreal Canadiens during the 2016 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic  Alumni Game at Gillette Stadium on December 31, 2015 in Foxboro, Massachusetts.  (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

Ray Bourque due in court on drunken driving charge


LAWRENCE, Mass. (AP) Former Boston Bruins star Ray Bourque (bork) is expected to appear in a Massachusetts court to try to resolve a drunken driving charge.

A spokeswoman for Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett confirmed that the office has been advised that Bourque will be in Lawrence District Court on Wednesday to try to resolve the case.

Bourque pleaded not guilty last week to operating under the influence of alcohol after his Mercedes-Benz rear-ended a minivan in Andover on June 24. No one was hurt.

Police said Bourque had a blood-alcohol level of 0.249, three times the state’s legal limit to drive.

Bourque said in a statement last week: “I am not happy about the situation I put myself into.”

Bourque helped the Colorado Avalanche win a Stanley Cup in 2001, then retired.

Devils re-sign RFA Kalinin for one year, $800,000

NEWARK, NJ - FEBRUARY 23: Sergey Kalinin #51 of the New Jersey Devils celebrates his goal at 17:16 of the third period against the New York Rangers at the Prudential Center on February 23, 2016 in Newark, New Jersey. The Devils defeated the Rangers 5-2. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
1 Comment

The New Jersey Devils have re-signed forward Sergey Kalinin to a one-year, $800,000 contract.

Kalinin, 25, was a restricted free agent. He had eight goals and seven assists in 78 games last season, his first in the NHL after coming over from Russia last summer.

The Devils still have one key RFA to sign. That would be leading scorer Kyle Palmieri, who has filed for arbitration. If possible, the club would like to lock the 25-year-old up with a long-term deal.

Winger Reid Boucher is also an RFA, per General Fanager.

Linden explains decision to not re-sign Hamhuis

Dan Hamhuis

First the Canucks didn’t get anything for Dan Hamhuis at the trade deadline. Then they let him walk away for nothing in free agency. Then they watched him sign a two-year deal in Dallas with a cap hit of just $3.75 million.

Suffice to say, there are fans in Vancouver who aren’t very happy with how the Hamhuis situation played out. The 33-year-old defenseman wanted to stay. He clearly wouldn’t have cost a fortune to keep. He’s still pretty good, too.

On Tuesday, Canucks president of hockey ops Trevor Linden went on TSN 1040 radio and explained what happened, per Today’s Slapshot.

“I think basically when we made the move for Erik Gudbranson, when we looked at our group – [Alex Edler and Chris Tanev] and Gudbranson – we wanted to go with a younger group,” said Linden. “There’s opportunity there for younger players. We didn’t have the room and the fit wasn’t right.”

The Canucks may have had no choice. As Linden noted, Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson weren’t going anywhere. Neither, of course, was young Ben Hutton. And they signed Philip Larsen to run the power play. And if Nikita Tryamkin is sent to the AHL, he can reportedly opt to go back to Russia. And Andrey Pedan will need to clear waivers next season. And Alex Biega has a two-year, one-way contract.

That’s eight defensemen already, and we haven’t even mentioned Luca Sbisa. If the Canucks were ever going to re-sign Hamhuis, they’d have likely needed to trade Sbisa, who has two years remaining on his contract with a $3.6 million cap hit — which would not be easy to trade.

And so the Canucks, a team that just gave Loui Eriksson a whole pile of money in hopes of making a return to the playoffs, will head into next season with a proven top pairing of Edler and Tanev, but big question marks below. The plan right now is for Hutton, a rookie last season, to form a second pair with Gudbranson. It remains to be seen who will be on the third pair once the regular season gets underway. The best guess is Sbisa with Larsen.

Perhaps it will work out. The veterans will stay healthy, and the youngsters will come through. That’s what the Canucks are banking on.

If not, expect to hear the name Hamhuis a lot, especially if he finds success with the Stars.

Jackets name Basil McRae director of player personnel

INGLEWOOD, CA - 1990:  Basil McRae #17 of the Minnesota North Stars skates during a game against the Los Angeles Kings in the 1990-1991 NHL season at the Great Western Forum in Inglewood, California.  (Photo by Rick Stewart/Getty Images)

The Columbus Blue Jackets have added some toughness to the front office, naming Basil McRae their director of player personnel.

From the press release:

McRae, who served as a scout for the Blue Jackets in 2013-14 and the St. Louis Blues for five seasons prior, rejoins the organization after spending the past two years as part-owner, alternate governor and general manager of the Ontario Hockey League’s London Knights. Last season, the Knights captured OHL and Memorial Cup championships.

In addition to nearly two decades of scouting experience, McRae played 16 seasons in the NHL between 1981-96, registering 53 goals and 83 assists for 136 points with 2,453 penalty minutes in 576 games with the Quebec Nordiques, Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings, Minnesota North Stars, Tampa Bay Lightning, St. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks

On this slow day of NHL news, enjoy this old-time hockey montage from the 1987-88 season, featuring McRae (who racked up 378 PIM that season), Dave Semenko, and the late John Brophy…

Preds hoping Yannick Weber ‘can get his career back on track’

CHICAGO, IL - APRIL 02: Corey Crawford #50 of the Chicago Blackhawks makes a save against Yannick Weber #6 of the Vancouver Canucks at the United Center on April 2, 2015 in Chicago, Illinois. The Blackhawks defeated the Canucks 3-1. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

Yannick Weber was supposed to be a big part of the Vancouver Canucks in 2015-16. The Swiss defenseman was coming off an 11-goal season in 2014-15, and GM Jim Benning had talked him up as a dynamic threat on the back end.

But things didn’t go to plan, and that’s an understatement. Weber ended up with no goals in 45 games, he was a minus-17, and the Canucks let him become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Enter the Nashville Predators, who swooped in and signed him for one year and $575,000. The hope is that he can bounce back, that his puck-moving skills will be a good fit on one of the most talented blue lines in the league.

“He’s obviously disappointed with what happened last year,” GM David Poile told The Tennessean. “He didn’t have a good year in Vancouver. They didn’t try to re-sign him, and he basically comes in a low-end contract trying to prove himself.”

Assuming P.K. Subban will be on the Predators’ first-unit power play, Weber could potentially be on the second. Or, Weber and Subban could play together, with Subban using his agility and creativity to set up Weber’s big shot.

Of course, the Preds also have Roman Josi and Ryan Ellis to throw out there with the man advantage, so Weber will have to be sound defensively if he intends to be a regular in the lineup. It’s not like they’re desperate for his power-play prowess.

“I talked to a general manager over in Switzerland before we signed him,” said Poile, “and he said that Yannick could have taken the easy way out and come back and actually probably made more money in Europe, but he was bound and determined to get his career back on track and play well in the National Hockey League.”

Related: Preds continue to overhaul, buy out Jackman