<span class="vcard">Cam Tucker</span>

Video: Canucks prospects put through the paces of blindfolded dodgeball

6 Comments

Dodgeball can be crazy enough at times. Try playing it blindfolded.

That was the task for Vancouver Canucks prospects at the club’s recent development camp, as young players were partnered up and brought to the tennis courts for a fierce battle of blindfolded dodgeball. It has become an exercise assistant coach Perry Pearn has used for team-building and communication, dating back to Canucks training camp last September.

Bruins’ Neely: ‘I think we can be a playoff team’

27 Comments

It’s been an eventful few months for the Boston Bruins, and that may be an understatement.

After missing the playoffs this past spring, the firing of Peter Chiarelli, the hiring of Don Sweeney as the new general manager and two major trades at the NHL Draft that saw Dougie Hamilton sent to Calgary and Milan Lucic to L.A., Bruins’ president Cam Neely apparently sees his team as one that could potentially make the post-season in 2016.

“There’s lots of parity in the East,” Neely told the Boston Herald. “It’s going to be tight, it’s going to be a challenge. I think we can be a playoff team. I don’t want to sound like that’s our only goal, just to be a playoff team. That’s not a very high goal. We’re past that.

“But I want to see us improve certainly from where we were last year. I think if guys can continue to improve — (David) Pastrnak, (Brett) Connolly, (Ryan) Spooner — I don’t see why we can’t have a very good year this year.”

Two years after appearing in the Stanley Cup Final — which was two years after Boston won the championship in 2011 — the Bruins missed out on the 2015 playoffs by two points while finishing 23rd in the league in scoring.

Their failure to qualify for the playoffs ushered in change, particularly in the front office. However, the club’s moves at the draft and in the days after brought instant and heavy criticism.

Based on Sweeney’s comments Friday, the Bruins could still go after available free agents prior to the start of the season.

“There are still players out there that may fit,” said Sweeney, as per NESN.com. “You have conversations with agents about possibilities. I think we’re comfortable with where we are in creating internal competition, but I’m not going to stop sort of asking in areas that we can continue to look at.”

Hamilton dons Flames jersey, thought he’d be a ‘Bruin for life’

22 Comments

Dougie Hamilton spent three seasons with the Boston Bruins, but he apparently thought he’d be with that organization for a lot longer.

“I always thought I was going to be a Bruin for life, like you said, and always had that vision that I was only going to wear one jersey in the NHL,” said Hamilton, as per CSNNE.com.

“I’m really thankful to that organization for the opportunity I got my first few years and the development I got and everything, so it’s an organization … the fans are unbelievable and teammates and everything. It’s something I enjoyed a lot being there.”

Hamilton’s time with the Bruins came to an abrupt end at the NHL Draft, when the Bruins traded the 22-year-old talented defenseman to the Calgary Flames for three draft picks.

The Bruins had tried to re-sign Hamilton, who at the time of the trade was a pending restricted free agent. According to reports following the trade, Boston’s offer to Hamilton was six years at $33 million.

The Flames signed Hamilton to a six-year deal before the end of June.

Lightning re-sign 2011 first-round pick Namestnikov, depth d-man Witkowski

1 Comment

The Tampa Bay Lightning re-signed center Vladislav Namestnikov and defenseman Luke Witkowski to one-year, two-way contracts, the club announced Friday.

Namestnikov, 22, was selected by the Lightning 27th overall in the first round of the 2011 NHL Draft. In 43 games with the Lightning this season, he emerged onto the scene by scoring nine goals and had 16 points, and also appeared in 12 post-season games as Tampa Bay made its run to the Stanley Cup Final.

Witkowski, 25, appeared in 16 games for the Lightning this season. He spent the majority of this season with the Syracuse Crunch in the AHL.

Report: Prospective Seattle owner will not submit expansion bid Monday

26 Comments

There is now yet another twist when it comes to the possibility of NHL expansion to the Seattle market.

According to King5.com, Victor Coleman, a prospective Seattle NHL owner who wanted to work out a deal for a team to play at the “potential” arena in the SoDo district, will not submit an application by the July 20 deadline for the first phase of the expansion process.

From King5.com:

A source involved from the Seattle effort said Friday the Coleman group had told the NHL it wanted to finalize the arena site before submitting an application. The same source also indicated Vancouver, B.C., native Coleman hoped to “fast track” the expansion process once a land deal is completed. Coleman’s camp, according to sources, also indicated it is still committed to bringing an NHL franchise to Seattle.

The expansion process began earlier this month, and it was previously reported that the league was expecting one, or perhaps multiple applications from prospective owners or groups in Seattle.

Last month, there was a report that a Seattle group led by Ray Bartoszek was going to apply for an NHL expansion team in Tukwila, Wash., however according to King5.com on Friday, it’s no longer clear if Bartoszek plans to submit an application Monday.

Las Vegas, Quebec City and Toronto have also been mentioned as markets with groups showing particular interest in NHL expansion.

The cost for simply applying for a franchise is $10 million, with $2 million of that being non-refundable, according to the Seattle Times.

Related: Seattle group to apply for NHL expansion team